-
Posts
9,908 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by GAMBLER
-
Summer fishing/camping trip with my boys: advice needed
GAMBLER replied to hornet99's topic in Open Lake Discussion
I believe he is talking about the Rome Hatchery zebra mussel issue. I believe that hatchery supplies the Adirondacks not Southern Tier. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app -
-
Summer fishing/camping trip with my boys: advice needed
GAMBLER replied to hornet99's topic in Open Lake Discussion
I would choose the 1000 islands. We camp at Burnham Point state park or Cedar Point state park. Shore fishing for bass and perch is decent. There are boat rental available too! -
-
-
-
Caulk removal
GAMBLER replied to Longgunner2002's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
3m 5200 or 4200 -
Bigger hooks weigh more and could affect action.
-
I stick with the same size. Instead of taking hooks off, I bend the hooks closed to they cant foul hook the fish. I feel taking hooks off may cause the stickbait to run different.
-
-
Where to go late June?
GAMBLER replied to Beagler's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
With high water levels, do some homework before coming. A lot of ports closed marinas and launches! -
They are decent hooks but break at the weld. Check out Blood Run trebles. They are the hook I settled on for Gambler Rigs. Super sharp and durable hooks.
-
Red turns brown past 8' in water. There was an article in the In-fishermen magazine that showed what colors showed up down to certain depths.
-
-
-
Where to go late June?
GAMBLER replied to Beagler's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Oak Orchard or Sandy Creek in Hamlin at that timeframe is unreal fishing. Oak Orchard has Captains Cove for lodging and boat slips. Sandy you can get a hotel room 10 minutes away in Brockport. -
-
Only time an Okuma reel will not fail you!
-
The song I sing while making Gambler Rigs - You could buy me a boat - Chris Janson
-
Not with the current stocking numbers.
-
Dave, I agree with the decision for survival in numbers. As Vince said years ago, we need to take better care of what we already have. What I don't agree with is taking one of the most successful and highest participation projects out of the equation. At our pen assembling parties, we would have too many guys which some projects cant say! The Brockport College program was beneficial to all the projects on the lake. For those that do not know, we would have a student from the college come to the pen site EVERY day and collect data. They took samples at the beginning and end of our project to see progress and health of the kings and steelhead. Rob and I got a tour of the College indoor hatchery and laboratory a couple years ago and they showed us how they used the fish we provided and how they got the data they provided.
-
The DEC still wants us to pen rear steelhead (fall spawners). With the kick to the gonads to us lake guys with the steelhead regs and the fact that the fall spawn rainbows are a tiny tiny part of the lake fishery, I am not going to waste my time with them. Some ports they are a great asset to the pier head fishery but we don't really have a good pier head fishery (and will not with zero kings being stocked at Sandy). With the steelhead being managed for the tribs, its time for the trib community to step up and take this project over for their own good. The thing that really sucks about the Sandy Creek project over the other three getting cut is 1). in the past, Sandy creek pen projects kings had the best growth rate of all the projects on the South shore and least mortaility, 2) We worked with Brockport college and they did studies on the Pen reared fish that was beneficial to the DEC and our project, 3) we had a huge volunteer base (unlike some of the other projects) 4) Sandy is a trib that draws a lot of anglers locally and from out of state for kings and browns. I spend my time helping out at the Genesee River Salmon project and possibly the Oak Orchard project.
-
Pat, the regs did go through is what I heard. I am on the board for the Sandy pen project and I agree. I am done. I can’t speak for the rest of the board but my vote is mothball it. The fall spawn rainbows we raised we very little part of the lake fishery. We would see a couple brown fishing in August and September. But not worth the effort. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
-
Captain Dan Keating Salmon School Rochester, NY
GAMBLER replied to Dan Keating's topic in Open Lake Discussion
He's the guy from Sandy that is always smiling in all his photos.




