-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Nice going JIm. I'm glad things worked out and you got the chance to get over to Fishy's place. Best of luck in your future outings. Les
-
To me it looks like a lot of bait in different densities spread along the thermocline in that particular area you were in at the time that had clutter in it maybe as well. The fact that the leadcores picked up the salmon and rainbow within that general depth would support that view. Looks as though the downrigger set at 40 missed the possible action
-
-
Very timely and practical post. We all need to be reminded from time to time and to be effectively prepared for what may happen out there. I experienced an example of how important the basics are last Saturday when fishing with a long time buddy (very experienced boater and fisherman) and we fished from Dean's Cove on Cayuga in his 24 ft inboard that has a kicker motor as well (Thank God). The wind was supposed to be 6 mph but it was actually about 10-12 with white caps from the SE so we trolled north with it and caught some small landlocks and lakers. When we were in sight of the north end of the lake we decided to try to get out of the wind a bit by going to the east side so we pulled our gear and went to start up the main motor and the starter went and there was no way we could get it going (e.g. by moving flywheel to different spot, multiple tries etc.). It was pretty rough water by then and wind kicking up and we had to make a run for it with the kicker back to Deans and the trip took us 2 1/2 hours and quite a bit of fuel in the 6 gal tank which was only partially full when we came out. We finally struggled back to Deans launch and my buddy masterfully navigated the rock barriers on either side of the launch. When we checked the gas can again it was nearly on fumes with just a tiny bit of fuel left. On my own boat I ALWAYS keep both the main 60 gal tank full at all times and the 3 gal tank also. I also carry a spare 1 gal. mixture little tank as well as a "backup" (will last about 2-3 hrs at regular speed). The importance of having a kicker can not be understated as well as making sure you never run short of fuel. The first thing my buddy did when he got home was to fill his small tank up We would have been totally screwed without that kicker and would not have made it another hundred yards on the fuel situation.....lesson learned.
-
-
If launching is a problem at the above mentioned places because of the derby there is also Taugannock State Park about 8 miles up the west side from Ithaca on Rt #89 and although there is a pedestrian bridge to go under near the launch your boat sounds small enough to make it under
-
-
Nice work Ted...that is a real good one Good to hear you didn't encounter much in the way of fleas or weeds too as they seem to be present at the south end now. Interesting the bait is still hugging that 50 ft interval...
-
-
Not sure where you are located but the prop shop in Canandaigua is as good as it gets for prop repair and folks and marinas from all over the state send them there for repair. If it is an aluminum prop and the hub is still intact it may be repairable but if it were me I'd get a new prop as it would probably be about as expensive to repair it. Here is someplace to order a new one. http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/propeller-showcase/michigan-wheel/?cm_mmc=Google_Main-_-Props%3AGoogle%3AGreat+Lakes-_-Michigan+%28Opt%29%3AProps%3AGoogle%3AGreat+Lakes-_-michigan+wheel+props_Exact&mkwid=sMP9KYPJv&crid=69678357739&mp_kw=michigan%20wheel%20props&mp_mt=e&pdv=c&gclid=COCkl_ehx8YCFYKPHwodR0AE5g Boat Repair Shop 53 Leicester St, Canandaigua, NY 14424 (585) 394-1860
-
-
-
I have the long adjustable booms on my Cannons and have never had a problem but I also only use 10 lb weights too here are the plugins I have (4 of them spaced so I can operate either of two or three downriggers off any one on same side musing an alternate socket is one were to become dysfunctional.
-
Canandaigua canadaguia Flea report south end
Sk8man replied to Rainbow Kid's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
-
Nothing like a new boat to make things enjoyable out there.Looks like a beauty from what I could see in the pic. If you have inset rod holders there are things you can do to minimize drilling. You can get some gimbal mounts and mount a couple downriggers to them with swivel bases and if you have additional ones toward the cockpit along the gunwales another gimbal with a short section of track mounted to it and three Bert's ratcheting rod holders (metal ones) mounted to the track. Additional stainless rod holders (e.g. perko, Attwood or others) that are rail mounted could be located on the bow rail for additional rods. if you can get to them easily The nice thing is that you can take them on and off when using the boat recreationally....just a thought....no additional holes required. It is basically the way I went 13 years ago on my Whaler and it works well. P.S. I can run the 3rd downrigger just by lifting out whatever I have in the forward hole and inserting the rigger so there is also flexibility this way.
-
Sold / Closed CANNON MAG 20DT 325.00
Sk8man replied to rod hog's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
-
Nice going Dennis. Signalman and I were out there too from Dean's north and saw a lot of bait pods and fish in 100 inward but not much beyond that. depthwise. The wind was a real pain so we kept going north on the west side. We picked up 4 small landlocks and two half way decent lakers all in the shallower depths and little in the way of fleas. Nothing on the Spinney/fly stuff all on spoons run clean.
-
The prop shop in Canandaigua noted above is tops in the state. He did my stainless steel prop a few years ago and I would defy anyone to tell where it was repaired and they are great people to work with.....can't go wrong with them.
-
Admiral Byrd and I gave it a shot from 4PM -8;30PM tonight and targeted the steelhead and kings out in the depths. We motored out to 600 plus ft. and kept trolling NW out to 680 ft and then turned back south and then when we reached 658 ft we saw a nice steelie jumping in back of the boat and he was on the 5 color leadcore on the outrigger and it was then "game on" Bob had his hands full as this guy jumped roughly 30 times and I'm not exaggerating....I thought it might be an Atlantic at first because of it. The fish was literally out of the water more than he was in it all the way to the boat. A while later in about 600 ft. the downrigger went off and I had a jumper as well on the slider which had a prototype Revolution spoon I was trying out (not a production color but one I taped) and the steelie really slammed it and took line a bunch of times as well as jumped. These spoons work beautifully. We trolled further into 483 ft and Bob had another nice steelie on the downrigger. Trolled for a long time without any hits and we didn't mark hardly any fish or bait whatsoever while out there. On the way in trolling Bob had a double one off the rigger (got off near boat either small steelie or king) and one on a Walleye board with 4 color leadcore which was a small but healthy king released unharmed. All of the fish came from within the top 40 ft of water and we went 5 for 5. NO fleas were noted but the biting flies were pretty bad and they especially loved bob's feet It was a great time out there and beautiful weather and sweet sunset. I think Bob may have secretly been jealous that my fish was bigger than either of his so he didn't want my face recognized with the catch......aren't you glad you didn't hire him to take YOUR wedding pics?
-
Canandaigua canadaguia Flea report south end
Sk8man replied to Rainbow Kid's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I too have wondered about the fleas getting into their gills etc. I've also wondered if they actually eat them too whether inadvertently or on purpose. I think it is possible that they locate to avoid them too as you say. I do know that the fleas are distributed erratically within the water column which is probably why on large bodies of water like Lake Ontario some folks find them thick while others thin or not at all and it may depend too on WHERE in the column you primarily fish or set your lines. It would be interesting to know whether they actually concentrate just within the thermocline layer as it often travels up and down in the column. Unfortunately I'm not a fisheries biologist so like most folks and you I am curious about them and have more questions than answers. I do also know that when the temps decrease in the Fall the fleas seem to decrease radically and then disappear so there is definitely some type of relationship with the water temps or ranges of temps. -
Don't give up.... I once lost my favorite ultralight on Seneca in 60 ft of water while perch fishing (popped it out of the rod holder with my knee while hauling in a double). About three months later while jerking copper for lakers I went through that spot not even thinking about the lost rod and reel and lo and behold I caught what I initially thought was a tree branch and when I got it up it was my lost rod and reel (my name engraved on the reel) fully intact and after drying it out was good as new.
-
For Sale : USA Honey Bee Lures
Sk8man replied to Fishy's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
-
Canandaigua canadaguia Flea report south end
Sk8man replied to Rainbow Kid's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Thanks for the report Jim....pretty discouraging though. It looks as though this will be a season for "jiggers only" on Canandaigua and Keuka. The fleas were there but not real bad yet on Cayuga yesterday northern section. It sure does take a bit of the fun out of trolling though. It may be Fall before the water cools enough and the flea levels go down again. Guess the recreational boaters and sail guys will be having the lake mostly to themselves....it is really a shame.










