Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Ditto on Tim's approach here.
  2. Nice going Kev....some great eating there and the other stuff you're going to be doing sounds great too
  3. Probably the best idea until you can find a reliable source. At least you could get going while you look at the other alternatives....something will turn up Jason. Keep on plugging and exploring options.It will all come together...perseverance always pays off in the end.
  4. I think that if the aluminum plate I suggested is an EXACT FIT width wise and it extends close to the length of the track it shouldn't have any "leeway" to flex.
  5. On Sunday the wire loaded up bad with fleas too.
  6. nice work Mike! Good thing it wasn't Ontario (with no net)
  7. Nice going Joe... hell of a fish!
  8. Never had it happen personally either on fresh or salt water and was a little queasy only once after chugging a beer at 7 AM during a Spring ESLO during the early eighties due to a bet regarding catching the first fish. I have had to drive a buddy's boat while he was puking repeatedly up front but I have to admit we kept fishing until it got real bad....he still avoids Ontario on days when 2 footers are predicted (and that was about 15 or more years ago that it happened). Ginger root and ginger ale can sometimes help, Dramamine has to be taken a couple hours before going out to be effective (and then only with some people). I have seen the wrist band approach work only once to avoid puking when initiated at the first signs of discomfort. I think it happens mostly with longer interval waves for most folks and i haven't seen it happen on any boatI've been on inthe Finger Lakes but I know it does occur (but not as frequently as on the great Lakes or the oceans.
  9. The fleas and weeds sure take a bit of the fun out of things these days...just glad I'm not a fish and have to co exist being choked with fleas, the quagga's and Zebras messing things up along with all the other stuff (e.g jet skiers buzzing overhead, cigar boats vibrating the entire lake etc.). We dealt with a lot of that same stuff on Seneca Sunday as well. I think this is becoming a banner year for the fleas and it will be awhile before the water temps go down enough to decrease them. Maybe there is something to be said for all the boats stradling the north end and drinking beer and jumping in the water at this time of the season.
  10. Did you put new batteries in the probe? Also check the wires on the battery connection inside the probe
  11. Did you put new batteries in the probe? Also check the wires on the battery connection inside the probe
  12. Considering the potential torque of downriggers you should probably always have a supportive backing underneath. If it were me I'd have a plate of 1/4 inch aluminum under neath extending past the points of connection aways to disperse the torque. Some guys use wood but I think metal is a sturdier alternative. I've related it before but I knew of a guy fishing a derby on Seneca whose ball hung up on bottom and it ripped a section right out of his gunwale (glass boat) and the downrigger had to be recovered by a diver.
  13. Also make sure the screw on the weight of the dispsey isn't loosening up. If the weight stars "flopping" back and forth it could do that
  14. And I think you are exactly correct Zack
  15. Nice work on the Friday fishing Dave. Thx for the report and nice pics. Isn't it amazing what one day difference makes out there?
  16. Great report and very nice rainbow Alex...they sure are a lot of fun....I'll bet those newbies eyes lit up when they saw that one come in the boat WTG!
  17. I agree Tim they are very different situations and Huron probably doesn't have the same environmental effects the other much larger lakes may have going for them. Some good info on the Great Lakes here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes
  18. Don't worry Ed he can hold his own real good (claims he needs both hands too)
  19. The weeds and fleas were annoying but the ball busting was great
  20. Your best bet for getting accurate information is to contact the tech folks at Airmar...they are very helpful.
  21. http://news.msn.com/us/lake-huron-fishery-recovers-but-anglers-skeptical
  22. The only side effect of Frogger's test is that now his eyes display the temp and speed every time he opens them out on the water
×
×
  • Create New...