-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
-
Anyone fishing Canandaigua tomorrow (Sat.)?
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Thanks Jim. I figure fighting a south wind is better than staying home wondering what is going on out there ...I got all my lawn work out of the way today and I want to test out my 9.9 after making some minor adjustments to it before heading to Seneca one of these days soon. I hear ya on the eye (I have about 40 or 50 of them). plus my Suttons so hopefully the rainbows and browns will be active. -
Yeah they once stocked those Seeforellen browns in the lake but I guess they didn't take....they get huge in Europe....
-
I won't bite on it...I can see who you voted for....
-
I'm going to give it another whirl in the early AM from the north end launch and see if I can wake up one of those lazy hogish browns.....hoping to get going before 5 AM but I've said that before too
-
In 50 years I'll let my son drive the boat and jig from the wheelchair....cause I'm only 68
-
They had the insight and foresight to draft a Constitution that has served us well no matter what the population if these aholes would just follow it instead of trying to be European wantabees.
-
Just spoke with my buddy who is out there right now in over 700 ft of water out from the channel at Sodus still trying to locate active fish....he marked some fish down over 300 ft down out there ....probably Charlie Tuna sitting in his lawn chair They've had only one release on the downriggers and earlier caught one juvenile King in closer...but that's been it....like you said Nick...welcome to June on Lake O. (and most of the Finger lakes as well). Good luck with the fishing....think I'll stay closer to home and fish here on Canandaigua Lake in the AM for now. Les
-
-
-
Stinger hooks on laker jigs?
Sk8man replied to keukakatch&release's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
You might want to consider putting one of the hooks on the treble through the base of the tail on the top one and I think I'd try running the second one further toward the tail since you mentioned that they took some of the rear portion of the rubber off. Just a thought.... Another thought....one of the reasons wire and stiff mono was used for the other stingers I mentioned is because when you are pulling upward on the jig the stinger drops more vertically rather than flopping around as it might with (more flexible) braid....never used braid on them so don't know for sure.... -
-
And the Founding Fathers had a problem with tea taxes??? Whats next the death penalty for taking a leak off your boat?
-
-
Nice going Hermit and great report....felt as though I was right there .....lets hope the brown action heats up soon on these Finger Lakes....
-
You've got to be more optimistic Tim and bend that rod right over like we all have dreams about....oh.... that's right....it is still June
-
I think jigging is the way to go anymore on Keuka after our experience on monday with trolling. Valley of the Shadow was out then too near us and he only had one laker at that point just before we quit and we had the same....beautiful days to be out though and it doesn't get much better than the scenery on Keuka (and the wineries aren't too bad either
-
I guess at least they don't go through a bunch of tires peeling out in the parking lots....
-
Seneca New to Fingerlakes - Sunday to Wednesday trip
Sk8man replied to tdvries1's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Best of luck to you. -
Seneca New to Fingerlakes - Sunday to Wednesday trip
Sk8man replied to tdvries1's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I think so...anything in white is often good. Good luck with it. There are a million places around there to get fish and the perch and bass are right nearby as well. Otherwise you can spend a lot of time and gas just looking around it is a pretty big (and deep) lake -
Seneca New to Fingerlakes - Sunday to Wednesday trip
Sk8man replied to tdvries1's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
You might be able to save some gas in checking things out initially by fishing right out from the marina itself if you are going to jig. There are nearly always lake trout lurking about out there. Just head right straight out of the mouth of the breakwall in the center of the marina and watch your depth finder.... for bait and or fish. They will usually be bottom oriented there (lakers and in shallower sometimes browns). if nothing of interest there head to your right (north) on a diagonal toward the beach area (still on the east side) gradually going deeper. They could be in 40 ft or 125 ft right now not sure....but there should be lake trout there. If not successful there keep heading slowly north on the east side and you will see a point and a building there they used to call the Officers - Club try fishing straight out from it or slightly north in 70-120 ft. I'm pretty sure you will connect with lakers at least at some point through there and still fishing, pulling copper and jigging are the best ways to hook up with them in those areas. -
If you have the type with rings and are they staying in place? I used to have to use hot glue on the outer edge on some to keep them engaged on the dipsey They are mainly to control depth but if flopping around.....? As far as the L and R I just keep mine in zip locks and label it left or right (port or starboard) with a permanent marker and those are left preset to near 3 so they stay out away from each other and the other stuff.I have others that I make the adjustments on and I often run smaller ones (0) off the outriggers set at zero usually. I might add that the more line or wire you have out they usually head somewhat closer to each other and back a bit and I'm wondering if this is what you are referring to....are you by any chance running them (the rods and rod holder off the back or near the back of the boat? I usually run mine from the center or even some of the front rod holders...to get the dipseys to the side of the boat. where you want them to be....just thinking out loud.....
-
Good point from Chris Kuba.....
-







