Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. No fleas noted but there was some green slime on the rigger (possibly sign of algae bloom?) I only fished west side of lake
  2. Thanks Andy Thanks guys.. Double D I fished only the west side because of the wind 5 color leadcore with solid stick bait about 25 ft down but who knows where he actually came from and I'm still trying to figure out how I lassoed him rodeo style
  3. I'd be using Ugly stik ultralights (5 1/2 ft?) on Keuka for those lakers. Thye double as good perch and panfish rods as well
  4. Thanks Mike. My arms are still tired from all the sideways action
  5. Nope... Just a 10 plus rainbow with the stickbait in his mouth and the line wrapped twice around him and coming in sideways 2 other smaller bows and a legal laker all from the top 30 ft of water over whatever Larger (30 inch) bow came on solid black and silver stick on 5 color leadcore off walleye board. 2.4 speed. Unfortunately she didn't make it afterward.
  6. Sk8man

    Seneca Greenlinge

    Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that this is bad for the lake as is the unscreened water intake that is grinding up the fish and bait.
  7. Sk8man

    Seneca Greenlinge

    https://greenidgellc.com/ This is the company being talked about Here is the article: https://fingerlakes1.com/2020/06/10/psc-plans-to-quietly-rule-on-greenidges-bitcoin-mining-operation/
  8. Glad it worked out for you
  9. Some of it can depend on how far you are east on the south side you are fishing too with NW wind
  10. The expression on the pup's face matched almost exactly my buddy's face yesterday with the NW wind on Ontario....although we had already taught him to puke over the side and hose down afterward and he was the "captain"
  11. Sk8man

    Canandaigua 6/6 southend

    Yes few days ago
  12. Good going Paul and thanks
  13. As a rule of thumb I use the 1/0 on small spoons (2-3 inches) a 2/0 for most medium spoons and for some mags 3/0. Size 2/0 or 3/0 will work on most mags on real light flutters I may downsize1 size to accomodate the weight change. The eyelet on the hooks comes open from the package so you have to take off the treble and then carefully close the eyelet with pliers
  14. I have always used Mustad Siwash stainless steel #9510XXX salmon hooks in sizes 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0. I have never bent one ever.....they have a long point and rather compressed barb and are relatively easy to get out with just needle nose pliers.
  15. If you just want manuals find some Penn manuals very reliable and last a long time They make both a short (24 inch?) and long (48 inch?) boom. The Penn Swivelmatic bases although pricey are the ones to get (The ones with the shark teeth look).
  16. Check with electrical supply places. In a pinch 600 ft of 30 lb AFW Surfstrand braided copper will work It just doesn't cut through the water quite as nicely as single strand.
  17. Admittedly it can happen but in over 50 years of using the singles I have had maybe a half dozen at most with them through the eye (as mentioned smaller fish and usually rainbows). I would compare this with all of the floaters I have seen while on other boats that resulted from being too long out of water and rough handling while getting trebles out so it is again mainly a personal preference issue and I think better hookups with SS singles because the hooks don't work against each other as with the trebles. I arrange my singles with the hook pointing upward which I think helps with hookset. Good cases can be made either way.....
  18. They are a hell of a lot of fun.....kinda like catching a king real close to the boat. I have always been amazed at how they can gobble up a 1 1/2 ft long eel and run with just the tail hanging out of their mouth
  19. As long as they work.....not too many headaches with them and you don't have to worry about your battery going dead etc. Just be gentle with that little plastic catch that folds out and holds the handle. I have a lot of good memories with those riggers. actually had one of those riggers before I even had my first boat. I bought an extra base plate and we installed it on my buddy's boat about 1976 or so and I operated it when I fished with him as he thought it wasn't "old school"
  20. Matt may be right...the mayflies are a little larger than midges which are about the same size as mosquitoes they both are annoying though Fish do eat both.
  21. Steelhead are highly nomadic and roam all over the place. During the summer months they may be found in 200 ft of water or 600. June is usually considered a "transitional" month on Lake O with the water temps starting to set up the thermocline and the fishing is often unpredictable for nearly any trout or salmon species and each year it can be different too. To further complicate the issue the lake generally warms from the western section then toward the east and from shorelines outward toward depth and it is not uniform throughout the lake and migrating baitfish spawn and then go deeper so the steelies may basically be anywhere in the lake. It often takes a lot of trial and error searching for them and some of the time they are caught as accidental catches like the Atlantic salmon as well while specifically fishing for King salmon and may be found with the juveniles or teens especially mixed in. If you are going to be fishing mainly shallow areas (e.g. within 100 ft.) you would probably be better off targeting lakers and browns percentage-wise to keep the kids interested.
  22. I doubt if Opossum Shrimp look much like mosquitos;however many trout species in the Finger Lakes do feed on the mayfly hatches that occur all over the surface of the water. They were horrible during the Lake Trout Derby on Seneca and do sort of resemble mosquitos.
×
×
  • Create New...