Garmin echomap UHD93sv Transducer Question

You'll want the 56 transducer. I believe the lowest price right now is West Marine, Garmin is sold out and Bass Pro is the GT54 unit. Garmin recently upgraded to the UHD2, better graphics supposedly and a few other features. Basically it's the same unit only repackaged, I believe. 

Nice feature about the Echomaps is they will drive the autopilot and don't require a head unit provided you go Garmin AP. 

My son just upgraded his Garmin with the 94 UHD / GT56 and he is super happy with it. 

Tight lines...

13 hours ago, wrestlecoach said:

YT what transducer would you recommend?

Depends on the boat. If you want a transom mount transducer then an Airmar P66. If you want a thru-hull (recommended) an Airmar B60.

Can I bother you again by asking why the p66 is better.  Boat is an inboard 24' WA.  Mostly fish Erie for walleyes in 50' or less or spring browns.  Planning on ontario salmon for first time in August.  Also take boat to Delaware bay and close offshore.  Mostly in 60' or less.  Still better to go with p66 over the gt56?  Sorry to be a PITA but want to make sure I get it right the first time.  Thanks for your replies

10 minutes ago, wrestlecoach said:

Can I bother you again by asking why the p66 is better.  Boat is an inboard 24' WA.  Mostly fish Erie for walleyes in 50' or less or spring browns.  Planning on ontario salmon for first time in August.  Also take boat to Delaware bay and close offshore.  Mostly in 60' or less.  Still better to go with p66 over the gt56?  Sorry to be a PITA but want to make sure I get it right the first time.  Thanks for your replies

For open water trolling the P66 offers a wider cone angle and dual frequencies. The wider cone angle allows you to see more under your boat. The GT56 has a high wide CHIRP frequency. This gets you a 16-24 degree cone angle. The P66 on 50khz can get you 40-45 degrees. It's almost double the size to allow you to see more. 

These fish finders with pre-packaged transducers are good all around transducers. but they are geared towards inland fisherman who bass, panfish, and walleye fish shallow water looking for structure and bottom detail. For trolling guys are in a large lake in open water looking for pelagic fish, so the bigger cones allow you to see more.

This is probably a silly question but it there any reason i shouldnt mount a p66 right next to my gt54 and swap them around as needed?  Can the P66 be used at the same time as the gt54 if the frequencies are different?  I have 2 head units and have them networked currently so they share the gt54. 19ft aluminum/outboard for me.

Thank you for the intel!  I think id like to try a P66......

I plan on doing that, my gt56 runs at pretty different frequencies so I don’t think the p66 at 50/200 will have an issue. I am adding the furuno 588 next to 93sv.

that being said, I was on Lake Huron and the gt56 was fine and picked up cannon balls at 100 feet laker fishing.

20 minutes ago, 13owhunter said:

This is probably a silly question but it there any reason i shouldnt mount a p66 right next to my gt54 and swap them around as needed?  Can the P66 be used at the same time as the gt54 if the frequencies are different?  I have 2 head units and have them networked currently so they share the gt54. 19ft aluminum/outboard for me.

Thank you for the intel!  I think id like to try a P66......

Great idea. Make sure the GT56 is the lowest transducer on the transom so when using the side imaging the other transducers don't get in the way. Other than having to go into the settings for transducer installation and choose what transducer you're running it will work.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, Yankee Troller said:

Great idea. Make sure the GT56 is the lowest transducer on the transom so when using the side imaging the other transducers don't get in the way. Other than having to go into the settings for transducer installation and choose what transducer you're running it will work.

With the new longer shaft garmin kraken likely to not mount a transom transducer for the garmin and the gt56 on the trolling motor for SI. The the P66 off the back. I believe with the new longer shaft brushless from minnkota this is probably an option as well for those is smaller boats, 

Garmins website says the P66 isnt compatible with the a UHD 93sv but i see that there are 8 pin to 12 pin adapters widely available.  I also see that airmar makes a 6 pin transducer for garmin as well.  I can get a 6 pin P66 from a buddy.  Is there anyway to make that work?

Thanks again!

9 minutes ago, 13owhunter said:

Garmins website says the P66 isnt compatible with the a UHD 93sv but i see that there are 8 pin to 12 pin adapters widely available.  I also see that airmar makes a 6 pin transducer for garmin as well.  I can get a 6 pin P66 from a buddy.  Is there anyway to make that work?

Thanks again!

I am will using the P66 on a different brand next to the garmin. I am not sure if garmin are compatible. They are really quick to respond to questions.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:28 PM, 13owhunter said:

Thanks again!

It is compatible. The adapter is needed.

Yankee is 100% spot on about the GT54/56 for trolling. I should have listened to him when I bought mine 3 years ago. It will track balls as long as it's flat calm. But anything more than a slight chop, you're in the dark! I went a different route and added a refurb Lowrance Elite 7 with a basic 2D 83/200 ducer that also networks with my TM. Couldn't be happier!

Not sure on the difference between the p66 vs standard garmin dual 50/200 besides p66 is 600 vs 500 watts. Garmin says the UHD models are not compatible with P66, going to call and get clarity as my ice unit is a 73cv UHD and would save money to put the transducer on that vs a new additional finder. Also for $80 might worth trying the dual frequency garmin transducer,  not sure how much detail you would need for the wide cone purposes.

P66 seems like the best bet as you get 600 watts and a 45 degree beam.  See below for a side by side of transducers with a wide beam from garmins site. (im sure you are looking at the same thing) Not sure whether the extra 100 watts or 5 degree beam width matters much but the P66 has it all.  

freq power beam width pins retail UHD Sv Compatible per Garmin
GT20 77/200 500w 45/15 4 $99 Yes w/adapter cable
GT21 50/200 600w 40/10 8 $149 Yes w/adapter cable
GT41 50/200 600w 40/10 12 $199 Yes
Garmin Dual Beam 77/200 500w 45/15 8 $79 Yes w/adapter cable
Airmar P66 50/200 600w 45/11 8 $159 no??

10 minutes ago, 13owhunter said:

P66 seems like the best bet as you get 600 watts and a 45 degree beam.  See below for a side by side of transducers with a wide beam from garmins site. (im sure you are looking at the same thing) Not sure whether the extra 100 watts or 5 degree beam width matters much but the P66 has it all.  

Yes only issue is Garmin says the p66 isn’t compatible with UHD and newer models. I am going to call and see what the issues would be.

1 hour ago, 13owhunter said:

Be careful with the Garmin dual beam 77/200 as it will interfere with your Fish Hawk which works on 70khz.

1 hour ago, BRsnow said:

Yes only issue is Garmin says the p66 isn’t compatible with UHD and newer models. I am going to call and see what the issues would be.

I install Airmar P66 & B60 on a lot of UHD models and haven't had an issue. You wont find them in transducer selectin menu by their names, and the unit will not recognize the transducer upon set-up. You have to go in and select 50/200khz manually.