Some advice please consol drilling for Ram Mount

laker1

Hi,

I am reluctant to drill thru my Lund Rebel consol. The consol appears to be hard plastic over aluminum. I wish to instal a Ram mount. Does anyone have any advice as to method and type of drill bit. I do not want to crack  the consol. Just drill straight down and bolt her in. Probably with a wood base underneath. I wonder how do the professional riggers do it?

Thanking all contributors in advance.

jim

another thing you might try is going to amazon and search for a plastic drill bit. then find the size bit you plan to use.

are you able to get to the back so you can use washers and nuts? or are you planning to use stainless screws? if you are going to use screws you want the bit to be smaller, so the screws fit snug but not tight enough to cause them to lock up and twist off in the hole.

i have my tracks mounted with ss screws. i use 3 Connon retching rod holders per side plus another net holder on each side for our net. and have not had any of the screws get loose.

one trip i left my 2 downriggers at home and a great friend let me use his cannon electric riggers with track mounts that i used on my tracks for a week with nothing coming loose.

bottom line is if you use screws, they don't need to be super tight. but then again you don't want them so loose that they don't hold the mount solid. i never worried about drilling holes in my older boat as they will be covered even after the boat is sold or becomes a broken down boat.

A standard drill bit should be fine . If they are tap thread instead of machine with nut / washer it is important to use the right size bit  .Too small and the screw might snap . Too big it won't bite . Nut  and washer you can go a hair bigger .  

Buy a   set of bits at the big box so you make sure you have the right one.  

Drill straight . And if the  mount has 4 holes make sure the drilled holes are centered on the Ram base . Easier said than done . 

Thank you L & M and Sherman Brown. This has been an education.  I have an old Humminbird 1197c that I just love.

I bought it in April 2010. I thought I could move it to my second boat, but after a brief shakedown cruise I think it is ageing. My GPS no longer works etc. So rather drill more holes I am going to place this machine on the floor and continue to use it until it really dies. The other functions I use still work.