Received my cache from Fat Nancy’s today! Joining the meat squad this month. I fish solo with two rigger rods and a dipsy. Thoughts to get me on track? Sounds like tuning can be challenge 1…

IMG_1791.jpeg

Meat rig on wire dipsey setup has been hard to beat. 11 inch paddle with 6 ft of leader. Best to have meat strip spin 1 to 1.5 times per second.. #1 dipsey at 225 on 2.5 setting 

Hasn't worked as well off the rigger for me.. 

1 hour ago, java said:

Received my cache from Fat Nancy’s today! Joining the meat squad this month. I fish solo with two rigger rods and a dipsy. Thoughts to get me on track? Sounds like tuning can be challenge 1…

IMG_1791.jpeg

You definitely have the right colors. Always my go to   Chartreuse glow. Go get ‘em

• Like 1

Hey Chinook, I too am a new meat rig user as of a month ago.  I also fish solo most of the time with 2 downriggers running a spin doctor/fly on one and a spin doctor/meat rig on the other.  I sometimes put a dipsey with a spoon out there too if the conditions are not too bad.  I find that the meat rig takes hits 2:1 over anything else I have out at the time.  All my meat rigs are A-Tom-Mik and have the UV glow on them.  I use Familiar Bite herring cut bait strips and they sure seem to last on the line.  Even after taking a fish they can be reused sometimes.  A long leader on the meat rig on a 8.5' rigger rod can be a problem when landing a fish alone, so I've shortened the leaders to about 48".  It helps me a little when trying to handle the net and rod at the same time.  I run the meat rig 18-20' back from the DR weight.  I think one of the challenges in fishing solo is that you have less "flash" in the water than a boat with 2 or 3 people.  I know you can load up with sliders, etc. but my goal is to not lose the fish I hook, and too much hardware to deal with when a fish is hooked is not good for me.  Good luck with the meat rigs this season.  I really enjoy fishing with them.    

Great thoughts. Your assessment of a solo program is spot on. I have tinkered with cheaters and stackers and all told I just cannot manage it all! I am using Windfinder much more effectively this year so I am actually getting out there on days that are pretty inviting to three rods. Take care. 

Java - thanks for the tip on Windfinder.  I have not used that before and it has a more refined wind speed than the NOAA-NWS Marine forecast I usually use (which has <10, 5-10 mph, etc. ratings).  Of course, a forecast is a guess, no matter who is giving it, but nice to have another tool.  I always look at the Forest Lawn Beach webcam via WeatherBug and I see that is linked on the Windfinder site for Webster. 

While I don't fish solo very much i don't think i would run 2 riggers.   I would opt for 2 wire (slide) divers and a sinking line presentation off a board or one rigger set deep with a big paddle and meat.  Maybe a bit more technical to setup solo but should out fish 2 riggers most of the time and if you have a long line off a board tangles should be minimal.

+1 on windfinder app.  Its a cool tool but, as mentioned, is a guess.

-My 2 cents

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

agree with above     

We always have meat fishing on our boat   It may not take any shots all day but we always keep one in 42 degree ice water   Usually ends up taking the largest fish of the day

Tuning isn't as bad as you may think   Most of the name brand heads come pre tuned   I usually take a look at the roll and it is usually good to go.  Play with leader length and with twinkies or without 

Another idea is to think about speed   I try to stay 2.2 - 2.6 downspeed assuming you have that on boat.  I find too fast gets less meat hits   Just my opinion

• Like 2