planting apple trees for deer - advice needed

Hi all,

The 8 acres I own and hunt on is HEAVILY wooded. There is no way to do a food plot. I used to have some wild apple trees that attracted deer, but they have all died after the gypsy moth invasion a couple years ago. I was thinking that planting apple trees could attract deer years down the road.

Should I buy trees, rather than seeds?   Are there specific types of apple trees that are more appealing to deer?

ANY INFORMATION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU!

andre

Here's a site that will help out: www.habitat-talk.com - it's the habitat talk forum, specifically the sub-forum about growing fruit trees for deer hunters. You do need lots of sunlight for apples, so heavily wooded areas aren't generally very good. You probably want stuff that hangs late - if you're looking for disease resistant, no spray annual bearers, you might think crabapples - they can be the same size as small apples, so don't get hung up on a name. I highly recommend Northern Whitetail Crabs in Pennsylvania. For apples, think about semi-standard rootstock for a tree that your kids can enjoy. Dwarf trees fruit fast, but grow like vines on trellises and live short lives. Also, you will need to use cages, ground mats, and METAL screen around 18" of the base to prevent rodent damage. I've posted exact details on the New York Hunting forum in the past. 

Edited by Gator

We planted a bunch of apple trees at our hunting land.  They will need a good bit of light so not sure how successful they will be if planted in a mature hardwood stand.   We bought ours cheap from home and garden stores during the fall which is a good time to plant them.   Read the labels on the different varieties carefully as some of them have different requirements for pollination.  The gypsy moths will shred them unless you spray.  Seven works well and we have had luck spraying once a year as soon as you start seeing them. 

I recommend planting them 5' or 6' tree tubes and planting a few more than you want.  After a few years we fertilize with a "spike" and prune interior branches that will get little light.  Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Each tree will have to be fully protected by fencing or deer will mow them down to nothing.  Also protect each trunk or rabbits will damage the trunks every winter and shorten the life of the trees.  Many popular eating apple trees are susceptible to disease so I would suggest Dolgo crabapple trees. 4’ saplings will grow to 8’ in 4 seasons and will no longer need protection. The crabapples grow to almost 2” in diameter and  deer and turkeys love them.  Be aware that if you order trees from out of state their description may not be accurate to our region.  My Dolgo crabapples have just started dropping in late September and will continue to drop until February and will attract wildlife throughout the entire hunting season.

Edited by greenhornet73

On 7/23/2023 at 8:08 PM, rusty1034 said:

This outfit is awesome. Like any good tree nursery, trees are shipped once a year.  His trees go on sale in the fall and usually sell out in less than a day.  Many cold hearty varieties. 

https://bluehillwildlifenursery.com/

Good luck !

Rusty

I second Blue Hill.  I ordered 11 trees from him in 2022 to plant this year, and ordered another 14 this year to plant next year.  I'm in PA, but Ryan gives good advice for what to plant where, and a good mix of species.  I emailed him directly when I bought my 12 acres last year and he has been an excellent resource.  All the trees I planted in March of this year are looking terrific, actually got a handful of crabapples on a few of the crab trees that I ordered already.  Highly suggest following his planting method too (starter fertilizer, weed mat, stone, wire screen, and 5' fence cage with EMT stakes).