Stony creek/ Henderson 23 July

Did a solo trip out of stony creek on Sunday. Morning was a little rough but I set up my troll so the swell was on the transom. Ride out was slow. Marked a lot of bait and fish in 130. Fished two riggers and a dipsey all day. Caught 4 lakers and 2 kings. All spoon bites not a touch on the ff or meat rigs. Also got a late start and only caught the tail end of the morning bite. Good day all in all. Fish were caught on tuxedo, purple clown, and black widow colors. Not a touch on the greens or blues. Am going to do a trip to the Rochester area to visit a friend and take him and his son fishing. Am unfamiliar with the area and if anyone has any good launches or areas to start at please share. Would like to get them on a couple fish. Tight lines guys!

• Like 1

Sandy creek state launch in Hamlin is free and you will be in fishing depth water in 10 minutes.  Genny River, I Bay and Braddocks you need to run out further to get depth!

Of course the experience of the Genny river or I Bay recreational action and coast guard inspections might be worth the launch there!

normally I trailer and launch out of sandy creek but I am docked for 2 weeks in Braddocks and had to fuel up at the marina after 4 trips out…. I didn’t even look at the visa receipt!!

good luck!

• Like 1

Haven’t been out in a few weeks due to a bout of pneumonia. Last outing in June , no problems   Stay between the bouys  don’t wander port or starboard till you are past the outer sea bouys.  There are rocks in Shallow water on both sides. They will eat your prop   Stay trimmed up. Wouldn’t even try with an inboard 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seeyawader said:

How deep is Stony creek launch? Can I get my 26 foot pennyann through the creek? May want to get away from the crowds this saturday

Some of the channel markers in Stony Creek are not very well placed. The channel can be seen somewhat if you look at a Google Earth photo. Some parts of the "channel" are only 2ft deep, so an inboard would be a no go. Some places have a red buoy but no green buoy. Some places have a green but no red. It's tricky navigating thorough there your first couple of times.

On 7/26/2023 at 8:30 PM, Outfishin444 said:

Did a solo trip out of stony creek on Sunday. Morning was a little rough but I set up my troll so the swell was on the transom. Ride out was slow. Marked a lot of bait and fish in 130. Fished two riggers and a dipsey all day. Caught 4 lakers and 2 kings. All spoon bites not a touch on the ff or meat rigs. Also got a late start and only caught the tail end of the morning bite. Good day all in all. Fish were caught on tuxedo, purple clown, and black widow colors. Not a touch on the greens or blues. Am going to do a trip to the Rochester area to visit a friend and take him and his son fishing. Am unfamiliar with the area and if anyone has any good launches or areas to start at please share. Would like to get them on a couple fish. Tight lines guys!

Thanks for the report, good fishing!

Sticking to the channel in stony results in about 2 ft-2.5 ft at shallower parts. It is soft bottom until you pass the boat docks when it opens up in the bay. Gets rocky after that and can cause issues if you don’t stay in the markers. Once you make it past that tricky area by those docks the channel drops to about 3.5-4 ft. Do not attempt to go on plane until you reach the very last marker unless you need a reason to tell the wife you need a new lower unit or ss prop…

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, seeyawader said:

Thanks guys, I have an I/o so probably stay away

There is a boat that uses the creek on a regular basis. He has his boat in a slip near the boat launch. I'd guess that the boat is 26+ ft, and is an I/O, so navigating the creek is not impossible. But being familiar with the channel helps a bunch.

That boat might even be a charter boat.

As mentioned above, the creek itself is a soft muddy bottom.

Edited by Todd in NY