Engine swap

High Bidder

Yesterday I made it a quarter mile through the no wake area and when I opened it up, my Ford 5.0 OMC 's crank broke.  So I packed it up and drove 6 hrs home. How difficult would it be to convert it to a 5.7 if I bought the entire boat and did a change. Either way I going to miss this season of salmon fishing but it would be easier getting parts for a Chevy block. Here's more details. It is a OMC  IO outdrive. I was going to buy a chevy engine with an OMC outdrive for the swap. I just need to know if the mounting to the transom bracket is the same.  The wiring will connect I was told by a boat dealer.

Edited by High Bidder

Depends , I/O or straight inboard  ? In either case , mounting bracket will be different, exhaust manifolds may not mate with exhaust through I/O , main wiring harness from engine to gauges- ignition switch will have to modified to work . Not sure if flywheel (dampener ) plate - are the same . Current out drive a OMC or anything but Mercruiser will mean a different bolt and cit out  pattern for the out drive if OMC ,as in break out the fiberglass and resin and glass work here we come. Control cable ends will be different. Probably a bunch of things I forgot, good luck. 

On 8/27/2023 at 5:54 PM, High Bidder said:

Here's more details. It is a OMC  IO outdrive. I was going to buy a chevy engine with an OMC outdrive for the swap. I just need to know if the mounting to the transom bracket is the same.  The wiring will connect I was told by a boat dealer.

I'm assuming your talking an OMC Cobra drive & not a Stringer.

The transom plates are all the same as long as you have the OMC bellhousing for the GM motor.