The Newbie Chronicles (Episode 2)

Wednesday after work, waited for my youngest son to get home from school, and we packed the boat off to Stoney Creek Boat launch. Got the boat launched about 1630 (Kicking myself in the butt for being in hurry to get out and left the dang camera at home, had my cell phone, so I will have to be forgiven for posting the crappy quality photos). First time I have launched the boat out of Stoney Creek launch. Gets pretty damn shallow trying to get out of there! I was running my big motor through the mud, and then I tilted that one up and used the kicker to get out. After we get out of the creek mouth it was still really shallow. Only then did I realize there are some buoys marking a narrow channel off to the right as you are heading out... Oops :$

Followed the buoys coming back in at the end of the day, but still had to use the kicker...water was below 2 FOW in some places!

Turned south outside the last buoy and headed for drowned island. Starting fishing in 12 FOW (Surface temp was 59 degrees) speed (GPS) was 2.5 - 3.0 (Still having trouble fine tuning the trolling speed on the kicker) had four lines in the water, flatlining a bunch of Rapalas from 75 to 250 back from the boat. Water was like glass and without a breeze was a little on the hot side for my wife. Stayed in 12 FOW and moved south down the shore line. Passed about a dozen cottages on the shore and hooked up with a little 15" Rainbow (Still skunk free on the G3). Lure was a silver shad rap 75 back from the boat.

aV4Mz2A.jpg

After showing the wife and son how it was done (OK, maybe a little selfish taking that first one myself :P ) I decided to turn around (big looping slow turn) and follow my track on the Nav chart back over the spot we caught the first fish. Right on cue, hooked up again, this time it was a little bigger, but still only 18". Lure was a Firetiger shad rap that was 150 back.

gx12wCm9.jpg

Both fish were clean and healthy looking with no marks, and were released without injury. Hoping the third time was the charm, we did another big looping turn and got right back on the same Nav track. Luck must have run out, dry hole this time thru. Told my wife she will get the next fish, hopefully this week end.

Got the boat back onto the trailer and loaded up just before dark, no problems (No damage to my big motor that was run through the mud) and everybody had a good time. Still missing those Browns, but got a little closer. Can't wait to get my riggers next month and head for some deeper water and maybe some salmon.

SIR:

Nice report! I know in my neck of the woods the water level is way up. I hope that's not the case where you are or it wont be long before you will not be able to get out there.

Head out to the Henderson trench in late summer for those kings!!

Sgt. P

MarkCole

MOS---52-C

PLDC

BNOC

9 Duty stations to include Desert Shield/Storm and a year @ Camp Hovey Korea

and a bunch more

salute :yes:

nice report..... as you go out the creek you pass the boat house on your left around a right bend then a left bend as you can see the lake hang to the right side kinda close to shore and head straight towards the docks at the marina til you can see the buoys marking the spot.... stay kinda tight to the docks and your trip out should be better.... good luck

todd

Thanks 4 the report ill be at my parents cottage there sat. Now i feel old!!! I remember fishing with my great grandfather when there was no boat launch :D If your headed in fron the lake follow the corn silo in, at least thats what we did before they put markers out, plus the ice sometimes moves them about . Once you pass the marina stay 2 the left all the way till gravely(thats the little piece of land that has the big metal post in front of it. then the channel swings to the right . then your pretty good to the boat launch. The bay is very shallow until you pass the marina and then if you dont know where the Rocks are you might as well stay inside the bouys. the shore line around there is tricky, If you head out< the sand dunes always produced well early in the year and your 2 bays 2 the right do also in the spring. good luck and leave a few for me :)