Starcraft Mariner 22

Jeff Mick

6 hours ago, Jeff Mick said:

Good Morning,  

Just saw this on facebook marketplace.  Maybe a cool project for someone over the winter? 

I have no connection to the boat and I am not aware of any additional details.  

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1335058087436031/

Tight Lines  

if a guy has a good motor to put on it this would be an awesome big water boat. plus it's small enough for playing in the water. it's a light boat and should trailer very easily and be easy on gas on the water. a 22' boat is a good size boat for smaller crews. if this was 30 years ago I couldn't pass on this deal. i seen it for sale on FACEBOOK marketplace

I hear you!  I almost bought one 2 years ago.  Ended up picking up an 18 foot Lund Newport.  They made a 21 foot model also in the late 80's early 90's.  I am from CT and don't get up to the big lake that often so I figured an 18 footer would be better for some of the other fishing I do in the CT area. 

I attached some pics of the updates I did to my Lund.    

NH 1 .jpg

NH 2.jpg

Sanding  .jpg

side paint.jpg

Rear Pic  .jpg

Garage  .jpg

Last Pic.jpg

Edited by Jeff Mick
Pictures
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Mick said:

I hear you!  I almost bought one 2 years ago.  Ended up picking up an 18 foot Lund Newport.  They made a 21 foot model also in the late 80's early 90's.  I am from CT and don't get up to the big lake that often so I figured an 18 footer would be better for some of the other fishing I do in the CT area. 

I attached some pics of the updates I did to my Lund.    

NH #2 671.89 kB · 2 downloads NH pic 732.17 kB · 3 downloads Sanded in DW 715.85 kB · 1 download side paint 693.27 kB · 1 download Back repaint 738.29 kB · 0 downloads outside anthonys 774.58 kB · 1 download Last Pic 706.44 kB · 1 download

back years ago I was using an old 16' deep v boat on Erie for some years. money was tight back then so I had to make do. I am from Tn and moved to In, in 1965, and

still have family in Tn. On my travels, I kept seeing this old boat sitting under a tree out in the middle of a field. on one trip I stopped and asked just what they had to have for it as everything in it was rotten. the tires on the trailer was flat and rotted. I got a price of what the boat was worth when it had been parked many years ago. I told her the condition of the boat and offered 200.00 for it. she said some guy she knew had told her what to ask for it when it was parked. then she said she would ask him if 200.00 was enough and she would call me.

I was going to be in Tn for a week and thought she might call me. then we went back home giving up on getting the boat. a couple of days later she called and the guy told her if she could still get 200.00 for it she should take it right away.

we got the old boat home and all I wanted was a larger boat for fishing the big water. the white paint was pretty much gone and was just the aluminum hull. i took it over to show it to a friend who owned a body shop. he said if I would have it sandblasted he would paint it for the cost of the paint. my X-brother n law owned a sandblasting shop and my younger brother was his sandblaster. he said to bring it is Saturday and he would blast it for free. I got a beautiful blue metallic paint that made the boat look new.

I knew another guy that had boat parts cheap after he bought out a marina's parts stock. so I got many new parts including a universal steering cable and a part that hooked on the transom to hold the cable so only the inside cable moved. it had had a built-up sun deck in the bow with a walk-through windshield but it was totally rotted out. the floor was in bad shape but where there weren't holes it was still solid.

I tore the rest of the bow out then just put another sheet of plywood over the floor in the back. i cut plywood to fit the bow level with the back floor. then I used about 15 cans of spray foam insulation and filled the bottom on the back with all of it except just enough to fill the bow high enough to be level with the floor in the back. then I took the cut plywood and placed it on top of the styrofoam in the bow and let everything set up.

now I had a heavy aluminum 18' boat that looked new except it didn't have any seats. but at that time there was an RV surplus close to me that had boat lounge seats for only 150.00 a set. that really topped the boat off. I already had a great 80 HP mariner motor that i put on it. but when loaded for Erie it really struggled getting on plane.

but later I passed a prop shop going out of business. the only prop he had that fit my motor was a 15p aluminum prop that I bought for a spare. back then I knew absolutely nothing about pitch. a few trips to Erie later I just tried the 15p prop and to my amazement, it was like a whole new boat. that boat jumped on plane and ran strong. I had thought the motor didn't have enough power, but now it was great on that boat.,

we used that bigger heavy aluminum Cherokee boat for many many years. with it, we could fish if any boats went out except maybe the large charters and a few boats as big. I had the same as a new boat that I only had about 650.00 total except for the motor that was almost a new motor that I had borrowed 1900.00 so I could buy it for my other boat after it blew the old motor.

I have to say I'm very sorry for the book and hijacking your thread. and I had no intentions of writing a book when I started. but I do have copyrights to this post. I only bought a larger 20' Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 260 hp when we moved to the central basin. i have always had a small regret about selling that boat because it would have made an awesome Central Basin boat. the nice thing about it was the heavy gauge aluminum that they used on that boat.

It looks to me like the MR 21, that is the older narrower hull that was used on the older holiday 22 and Super Sport 22, and not the MR 22 which has the same hull as the Islander 22 and the Islander 19.   That hull came out in 1979 as the V5 hull-deeper wider and a better ride with the full deep V 

15 minutes ago, MCF said:

It looks to me like the MR 21, that is the older narrower hull that was used on the older holiday 22 and Super Sport 22, and not the MR 22 which has the same hull as the Islander 22 and the Islander 19.   That hull came out in 1979 as the V5 hull-deeper wider and a better ride with the full deep V 

That would explain why the one I saw, was so darn narrow and a pretty flat bottom.