Fleas?

LongLine

Thinking back on this summer season, I'm thinking fleas weren't as bad as they were years ago. (I only use 15 Lb copoly line). There still there but I don't remember having lines fouled anything like they used to, especially in the 100-200 FOW range.

How was your experience this year?

It was hit or miss. There were real bad days, but then there was an upwelling with cold water coming up and the flees (and the fish) were gone. This was off Oswego.

Last week I finally launched my new to me 22 foot Islander and went fishing a bit. Now for the first time in the end of October The flees were all over the place,so it is hard to understand what is going on.

It appears to be largely related to warm water temps and when the water gets about 50 or so they seem to disappear but I have read that they definitely winter over.

These critters ,like all water fleas, are really quite amazing. They reproduce sexually and a-sexually. When they are in nice warm water with plenty of food, they clone themselves multiple times, hence the sudden rapid increases within just a few days, but when it gets cold or dry (in puddles) they reproduce sexually, thereby diversifying the gene pool and increasing the survival chances and mutations. it is really interesting to put them under a compound microscope. You will see the water flea and on its back you can see one or two developing clones that will separate from the "parent" by breaking through the the outer soft skin layer. only females will clone. They do winter over in egg state.

Edited by rolmops

I didn’t need to go past 200ish fow all summer to get Salmon and it seemed to be somewhat normal summer temp conditions other than a couple of occasions. With that said, I did notice less fleas most of the time when I was expecting more. No clue the reason, just a fact from my boat.