Afternoon at Hemlock 5/21

Arrived to a windy Hemlock in the afternoon. Launched from the North and trolled South with a shad rap into the wind along the West shore. Quickly picked up my first ever chain pickeral. Opted out of taking a pic because he got the second treble around into his gills and I wanted him to swim immediatly. He flopped around right after gettin in the kayak and unhooked all but one hook. He was a little bloody, but swam off strong. Pretty cool fish.

Got to the big point and started workin it. It was pretty tough with the strong wind but managed to work a decent drift. Got hit hard in 12' and hooked a nice smallmouth. Boy did he fight well. Splashed on the surface a few times and made some good runs. For a few minutes we were at a stalemate as he was playing tug-a-war with my quickly drifitng yak. Finally got tired and into the net.

100_2258.jpg

Check out how he was hooked!

100_2256.jpg

Somehow managed to bring him in through a little piece of tissue on the outside of his mouth.

That was exciting. In my life I have only fished for smallmouths a few times when we would travel to lake siskiyou. They are a blast.

A little bit downlake I hooked up again. This largemouth came easily into the kayak with little fight. What a difference from the smallie!

100_2259.jpg

100_2260.jpg

Good sized fish though. I'm thinkin since the water is still pretty cold, it has more of a negative effect on the largies than the smallies?

The fish were not on the beds. The water felt pretty cold. Nice to fish in such clear water. What a beautiful lake!

After catchin those fish so fast I thought I was going to have a great afternoon. Wrong! I only got one hit the whole rest of the day. I tried shallow, deep, medium, jigs, cranks, topwater, rapalas, but nothin. Oh well. Still a great day.

100_2269.jpg

Phil

Beautiful pics Phil, Love the serenity of that lake. Did ya see the Eagles? No trout came to the net? That lake has some really nice pickerel. Caught some giants thru the ice there on the south end. Good job on the bass :yes:

Mark

Beautiful pics Phil, Love the serenity of that lake. Did ya see the Eagles? No trout came to the net? That lake has some really nice pickerel. Caught some giants thru the ice there on the south end. Good job on the bass :yes:

Mark

I kept lookin for them. I saw some potentials in the distance but could not see the white head or tail. Such beautiful animals, I can't wait to see one again.

I look forward to catchin more pickeral. Like their cousins, they are scrappy fighters.

Nice looking fish Phil, I think smallies are one of the hardest fighting fish there is .

Freshwater I would have to agree with you. I like catchin Calico bass in Southern California. They fight really hard! But not the jumpers smallies are, if that's good or bad...

calicopicture.jpg

Phil I love reading your posts because you always have cool pics, tell the whole story and arent afraid to ask questions, keep up the good work my friend. Nice smally btw.

Waylander

Thanks Waylander. I enjoy readin posts with pictures and wish more people would include them... Even though we all have seen millions of pictures of bass, I still enjoy seein the pics. I ask questions because I am new to this NY thing and don't know a whole lot. I learned a lot from reading other posts on this site. I think I am on a lucky streak and fear when it will end... As much as I miss the saltwater fishin in So Cal, I sure can get used to this great freshwater fishin here. I will miss it when I move back...

Phil

Hey Phil,

Sorry I couldn't join you...Wed nite at Honeoye ended up a bust, too, as Steve (Triple S) got caught at work and we didn't go. Instead, spent a little time at dark pitching jigs into the canal without much luck. Spent mornings on the water this weekend (Lake O and Keuka) with limited success. I do hope to get out one evening this week. Give me a shout.

Gator