Autopilot interference

New to me boat in spring 2023.    Used the raymarine autopilot at Wilson in May, no issues.

When we got home and on Lake Erie, started getting lines on the Garmin 7608  next to it.

Left to right on dash...autopilot, then two of the 7608's.   No interference on the farthest

right, just the closest.

Garmin hasn't really offered much as far as a solution.

Friend has similar units (not sure exact model) and says he has same issue.   I didn't

wire anything in, so not sure how its runs.   Someone suggested bad ground?

Thoughts?

Make sure the power wire going to the pump isn't run with your transducer wire. We had a an install and found out the hard way. If every time your AP pump runs you get interference chances are those two wires are run together. Separate them and you should be fine.

Agree with Rick... Chase that power wire down to the pump and make sure to separate the two. I had a similar issue 2 years ago. The problem didnt exist until one day when I decide to tidy up things and zip tied them together.  The quick tell for me is it only happens when the pump activates. So on calm days it rarely did it. However on rough days it was terrible. The second I would shut off the autopilot the interference would stop.

Thanks guys!   Exactly as you describe Rob...soon as autopilot off, interference stops.    Only oddity is it

didn't do it when we first  started using the boat in April, so if this is what it is, I'm guessing the lines might

have gotten jostled and moved in rough water or moved when we had to change out the charger and/or

house batteries.

6 minutes ago, times two said:

Thanks guys!   Exactly as you describe Rob...soon as autopilot off, interference stops.    Only oddity is it

didn't do it when we first  started using the boat in April, so if this is what it is, I'm guessing the lines might

have gotten jostled and moved in rough water or moved when we had to change out the charger and/or

house batteries.

My wiring also goes through the same hole in the bulk head so i needed to pull them apart and separate them the best i could.

Similar issue here but with my downriggers and Raymarine AP.  Everytime I hit the auto up on my cannon mag 10 stx's, the autopilot loses heading and goes haywire.  as soon as the ball breaks the surface, the AP goes back to its original track.  I still need to track that one down though...  Thinking downrigger power cable and raymarine heading sensor might be too close.