Hi all, 

long time lurker first time posting. I’m looking for ideas or input on fishing the big lake and setting up my boat. 

It’s  my first boat, I’ve been to the big lake a handful of times and I’m ashamed to say I’ve got nothing to show for it. 

My boat is an 04 Lowe 16.5 side console 40hp Johnson 2 stroke 

50lb thrust trolling motor (no auto pilot or anchoring)

bow mounted anchor winch 

Older hummingbird fish finder with gps 

I also run navionics on my phone

what I have for equipment is as follows

-2 cannon mini mag electric down riggers 

-2 offshore tackle planer boards 

-2 8lb cannonballs 

-2 10’ dipsey rods 30#braid on okuma low profile line counters 

-2 8’ downrigger rods 30# mono 

-1 450 copper rod 

- 1 250 copper rod 

I have typically run 4 rods, it’s usually only myself and one other person that fit comfortably.

I have an ungodly amount of flys, and spoons, spin doctors and dipseys 

I have 2 big planer board masts I have yet to put up, not sure if I will. 

I’ve tried fishing from outside Mexico bay- mouth of the SR and up out of Henderson. I’ll likely try outside Oswego this year, those areas are the ones I am familiar with and hit the most.  

I’ve been trying the “100 rule” for example 80’ down 20 feet back. 

Conditions have been my biggest limiting factor other than the fact I can’t seem to catch anything.

Ive seen cruising fish and plenty of bait piles but haven’t really come across much else.

I’m just looking for some helpful hints, maybe boat setups or techniques. 

I did a charter out of Sodus 2 years ago and took notice of everything I could but I’m also fishing a much less capable boat. 

thanks guys 

IMG_0153.jpeg

First things first going to be very limited on your days. We run a 19 fter and are very limited…

next spring browns. During the month of April 10 ft to 20 ft of water usually. Beast time for you to shine. 1.9 to 2.5 mph riggers 5 to 15 ft down 50 ft behind the ball sticks and spoons. Run a few planer rods . Either inlines or big boards. You will do well. 

I run sticks and spoons 75-100' behind the boat when I'm luck enough to get up there in April.
Everything is off the board, I don't use the riggers.

Tight to shore.

I've had good years and not so good years.

If you have clear skys and clear water you may need to run further behind the boat.

Look for dirty water.

I run sticks and spoons 75-100' behind the boat when I'm luck enough to get up there in April.
Everything is off the board, I don't use the riggers.

Tight to shore.

I've had good years and not so good years.

If you have clear skys and clear water you may need to run further behind the boat.

Look for dirty water.

Don't be afraid to try cayuga a lot more weather friendly for a small boat and very similar techniques good practice and productive fishing grounds

• Thanks 1

Not sure of your drive direction but versatility is a wonderful thing especially as I get older i can play to my comfort and its worth it. You have a very capable boat for the area and based on your gear you have an excellent set up. Work the water the weather dictates and be adaptable. Lake o for browns in that area I have found to be very conditions dependent.  There is also fish on and off all summer within range on good weather days.  I used to fish seneca a lot on my little boat and had a lot of fun and also learned a lot.  4 footers on lake o can be almost dead calm. On the fingers. Sounds like you have the right lures just need to dial in the spread and speed for your boat. Green and silver. White and black. Glow, blue and silver are good starting standards for all. In shallow black and gold treats me well.

I actually come from central mass, about a 5 hour drive. It makes for a long trip but I have been obsessed with Lake Ontario since I first came up about 5 years ago. I’m  definitely looking forward to trying out different spots though. I make the trip up to the big lake at least once a month in the summer and twice a month fall through spring. Most of my fishing has been beating down the banks, and fly fishing the tribs. I do run my drift boats as well but that’s a whole different story.

the last couple times I went were out of Henderson. I was running meat rigs and flys in the trench between stony island and stony point. Had 3-4’ swells it was a little sporty but we survived, I won’t push it much further than that. 

After reading and listening to a few podcasts it sounds like fish may be heading west at that point and I may have just hit it at the wrong time of year? 

The finger lakes will definitely happen this year.  

From what you listed, you're off to a great start.  I highly recommend getting a Fish Hawk so you know what your temperature and speed are at your cannonball. I consider my Fish Hawk the most important tool on my boat. With it you will be more consistent with your spread.  

If you are spring fishing browns shallow , I would definitely put up the planer mast . 

Sounds like you have a good selection of equipment , more than you need . Spring , temp and water color are critical to find browns . Look for stained colored warmer water , and it doesn't have to be much . Speed is also a huge factor. They make a paddle speed and temp add on for most depth finders . 

Sticks baits and spoons off riggers and boards work well for me . We all have our favorites you can research on here . Or run 2 of each planer . Fish are sometimes in 6 ft of water . Shallow running stick baits work for that . 

Spring shallow I would leave the dipseys and coppers home as they are not needed IMO . Keep it simple . 

The first part and most important piece of  the fishing puzzle is location.  Can't catch fish that are not under you . 

I would get 2 more lighter rigger Rods for stick baits off the big boards . Look on here for  used deals . Use a 20 ft tippet of 10 # flouro on your rigger and planer rods . 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jason Barra said:

From what you listed, you're off to a great start.  I highly recommend getting a Fish Hawk so you know what your temperature and speed are at your cannonball. I consider my Fish Hawk the most important tool on my boat. With it you will be more consistent with your spread.  

are the older 840 models worth it if I found one for around 350? I have had my eyes set on a live scope to swap between my boat and ice fishing but if I found a cheap enough fish hawk I’d definitely pick it up. 

I started off with the X2 model which has a transducer that connects to your downrigger cable and it uses the same prob as the X4. You don't have to worry about mounting a transducer to your boat, and you can save yourself a couple hundred dollars.  You will be amazed how different your speed can be at your cannonball compared at the surface on some days. Same goes for the temperature. With the Fish Hawk you will be able to consistently be in the most favorable temperature, and keeping your gear moving at a favorable speed. Yes there will be days the fish will be out of temp, and like a different speed, and you will know that and be able to keep your gear in that zone, catching more fish.  

• Thanks 1