Lake Erie Bite 2024

Gill-T

Spawning pattern and location right now. The areas of fish concentrations are the Detroit and Maumee Rivers plus the Bass Islands. Fish slide East post spawn. Lots of guides out of Port Clinton to help you. 

6 hours ago, cheeseyrider said:

En-lighten me or point me in the right direction . Thanks for any info willing to share. Checked Erie United but sorry no comparison to LO

This may not enlighten you Cheesey, but it's my typical plan for walleyes on NY Lake Erie waters...... I live about 2 hours from NY waters of Lake Erie so a trip is into my pocket for in the neighborhood of $130 - $150..... gas, tolls, bait, launch fees. I'd go way more often and in "tougher conditions" if I lived closer. I usually wait until mid-July to seriously fish for Lake Erie walleyes, and the fishing out of Sturgeon Point, Catt creek, and Dunkirk is what appeals to me. July through September fishing out of one of these ports usually leads to limits. Before mid-July its tougher for me to consistently take limits, so I just wait for the deep water conditions to get good before making my trips. Riggers, planer lead core, and divers. Harnesses, worm burners, stickbaits, spoons. Whatever seems to be producing. I'm most interested in fillets in my freezer, and of course, enjoying the trips. I've dabbled with the early season night fishing at various ports, but it just isn't my preferred method. I'm sure there are a lot of guys who take early season fish in good numbers, and maybe they can give you better info on that fishery. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cheesyrider, lots of great walleye fishing in NY and Pa waters.  Our resident stocks are bolstered as the Ohio fish move east after the spawn.  Normally mostly a night bite in NY in early May but daytime fishing picks up as the lake sets up.  You don’t have to drive to Ohio for great fishing.  As far as LEU activity it’s likely “tight lipped anglers” and not reflective of the great fishing. The good old days are now on Lake Erie.  NY has the best perch stocks on the lake now and the parking lots are full(another reason guys keep their mouths shut).  If you want a charter Come Fish Lake Erie site lets you pick a NY port and species then gives you a list of captain choices. Try Lake Erie in 2024.

• Like 1

mr580 Thanks for the good info. Although i love LO fishing, browns, targeting steelies, and salmon, not real fan of salmon for table fare, except maybe the silvers. Think I'm gonna have to make a trip or two to Erie this year. Are the perch available all season or is there a certain time for the hot bite like now that fisherman become tight lipped?

Perch fishing is pretty much a spring(spawn) and fall thing.  Not to say they can’t be caught all season but once spawn is over and water warms they move deeper and are less concentrated.  Also once walleye season opens many start to target the eyes.  Peak perch fishing is now.  Lake Erie has a lot to offer and is worth a try if you haven’t checked it out.  Hard to beat a platter of walleye or perch when it hits the table.  I rarely have people not take walleye.  They don’t have the glamor or line ripping runs of a king, but they taste good fried or baked.