Bad Transducer?

Bad Habit

Is there a way to test a transducer? I have a Lowrance x91 that doesn't seem,don't laugh, to mark fish (Wish I was joking). It tracks bottom but I haven't marked anything all year even when I'm around other boats that have fish all around. I also get the "pinging" noise transmitted through my vhf radio unless I turn the squelch WAY up. Can the transducer wire get old and leak power?I've tried every adjustment but no luck. I hate to buy a new transducer and find out that it's not the problem. Any one with a similar experience?

Thanks, Rick

Dear B.H.

Take your boat out to 50 ft. of water and put the boat in neutral. Lower a rigger weight to approx. 35 ft. down. Set your FF on the zero to 50 ft range or that range which will display bottom. Turn the gain up to approx. 50% or half of full gain. You should see bottom and the rigger weight on your screen. Try this in 100 ft. of water also with the rigger down 75 ft. The noise problem in your VHF means you will have to put a noise choke on the power feeds from the battery to your FF. Clean the power connections at both ends of your FF power lead also.

If you still can't read the rigger weight, then I would try a new transducer.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

Called Lowrance today. After waiting about 45 minutes the only advice they could give was to buy a new transducer from a local dealer and if it doesn't work just box it up and return it. Not exactly what I wanted to here but I thought that might be the answer.

Check to see it the seam on the transducer is still sealed tightly and has not split. My transducer on my Lowrance split and would mark bottom but no fish. Over 200' it would loose bottom. Atleast it only happened at the Scotty. ;( If you try a new transducer, just mount it on the transducer bracket and tie the old one up until you know thats the plroblem.

• 2 weeks later...