Throttle and shifter cables for kicker

I purchased a used Honda 9.9hp for my 22ft project boat.  Motor runs great and it came with throttle/shifter controls but the cables to reach the kicker motor on my boat are short.  This is only my second boat that will have throttle/shifter controls all my other boats were tillers.  Is it possible to get longer cables and replace the existing ones or do I have to buy a whole new throttle/shifter control box with the correct lengthen cables.

On 5/12/2024 at 1:51 PM, m089221 said:

I purchased a used Honda 9.9hp for my 22ft project boat.  Motor runs great and it came with throttle/shifter controls but the cables to reach the kicker motor on my boat are short.  This is only my second boat that will have throttle/shifter controls all my other boats were tillers.  Is it possible to get longer cables and replace the existing ones or do I have to buy a whole new throttle/shifter control box with the correct lengthen cables.

just go to eBay and search for shift cables for Honda outboard motors. I think the cables are interchangeable like the Mercury cables are. you might even add the length you want to your search. it should give you some options to buy both cables together. I'm using old 115 HP 2 stroke Mercury 1979 cables on my 2000 Mercury 9.9 4 stroke.

another route to go is if your kicker has an external gear shift lever on the motor,you can buy a control king throttle control to control your motor speed.these units are great,start your motor,put it in gear and then just turn a dial to control your speed at the helm.super easy to dial in your speed just right.no need to install controll box or cables.probably be around the same price as buying new cables.

10 hours ago, sszoldra said:

I've got a long set of cables that came off my 9.9 Merc kicker. I can measure them if you're interested.

I've done a little research and Honda cables and Mercs aren't interchangable.  Thanks anyway

1 hour ago, finsntins said:

another route to go is if your kicker has an external gear shift lever on the motor,you can buy a control king throttle control to control your motor speed.these units are great,start your motor,put it in gear and then just turn a dial to control your speed at the helm.super easy to dial in your speed just right.no need to install controll box or cables.probably be around the same price as buying new cables.

Unfortunately the Honda kicker I got came with controls and has no external shifter.  I did but a throttle master for it though to control my speed to 0.1 mph increments