Drip under outdrive

Anyone know what this drip could be?…. Fished Olcott 2 weeks ago and just noticed this drip…. Never had one before….3 pic is  where the drip looks to be originated…. Just below the exhaust bellow

Posted (edited)

Does the oil smell like gear oil , there is a distinct difference between engine oil and gear oil . If it's gear oil and seemingly coming from the bellows you have a bad upper seal on the input shaft on the outdrive . If it's engine oil , it's coming out the engines exhaust and you probably have valve seals , piston rings going south .

I agree with Chinook on the pressure testing if it's 90 wt gear oil on the ground .

Edited by Bozeman Bob

3 hours ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Does the oil smell like gear oil , there is a distinct difference between engine oil and gear oil . If it's gear oil and seemingly coming from the bellows you have a bad upper seal on the input shaft on the outdrive . If it's engine oil , it's coming out the engines exhaust and you probably have valve seals , piston rings going south .

I agree with Chinook on the pressure testing if it's 90 wt gear oil on the ground .

If the drive shaft seal is leaking , the gear oil will be contained in the drive shaft bellows and you may see it in the bilge if it gets past the gimbal bearing. No way will you see it as an external drip unless the bellows is torn or punctured. 

As Chinook said , it's probably the shift shaft seal or upper driveshaft seal but a pressure test will tell for sure. It could be the lower driveshaft seal under the pump but that would normally show itself in the water intake or out the prop area with the drive down. If the upper input yoke seal was leaking you would only see it in the bellows as said above.

Thanks hank…. Hoping you would chime in….. I actually heard something funky when I put it in gear that day I last used it…. Funny how more details come out of my brain when I get a cpl answers…. 

3 hours ago, thumbburn said:

Thanks hank…. Hoping you would chime in….. I actually heard something funky when I put it in gear that day I last used it…. Funny how more details come out of my brain when I get a cpl answers…. 

have you removed the lower screw and checked to see if any water or milky grease came out? if just lower unit grease comes out close it up and put more grease in to make sure if it's low. I have had outdrives have what looks like the same thing but it turned out to be nothing but exhaust scum and water.

5 hours ago, thumbburn said:

24 years with this girl and never a drip on my shop floor with her…. That’s why it freaked me out when I walked past and saw that

i beleive as the others do that the seal around the shaft is getting worn out. you did use the little washers around the fill screws didn't you? i found out the hard way to always use them.