Sodus Bass report

BP Swing

Went to Sodus with my son home visiting from AZ. on 7/15. We were planning on trying to get some smallys out in the lake. Got there and even though there was no wind on shore, there were 2 footer from the NE on the lake. Tried out there for a while with no luck and zero marks on the LCR either. We were envisioning a 50 fish day like several years back before the big die off. It didnt happen, it was like a dead sea from 15-30 feet. We decided to go in the bay to try for Largemouths till it calmed down a bit. They were very cooperative as we got 18 nice ones to 19". Went back out in the lake for the last 2 hours of daylight and got a grand total of 1 smally (18"). So now Im wondering has this fishery collapsed completely or was it us? Mind you about 5 years ago, there were many days wed go there and get 100 fish days using the same methods. The guy in the bait store said its never been the same since the great die off about 4-5 yrs. ago. Anyone else fish there lately?

Went to Sodus with my son home visiting from AZ. on 7/15. We were planning on trying to get some smallys out in the lake. Got there and even though there was no wind on shore, there were 2 footer from the NE on the lake. Tried out there for a while with no luck and zero marks on the LCR either. We were envisioning a 50 fish day like several years back before the big die off. It didnt happen, it was like a dead sea from 15-30 feet. We decided to go in the bay to try for Largemouths till it calmed down a bit. They were very cooperative as we got 18 nice ones to 19". Went back out in the lake for the last 2 hours of daylight and got a grand total of 1 smally (18"). So now Im wondering has this fishery collapsed completely or was it us? Mind you about 5 years ago, there were many days wed go there and get 100 fish days using the same methods. The guy in the bait store said its never been the same since the great die off about 4-5 yrs. ago. Anyone else fish there lately?

I have been fishing out of Bear Creek for the last 4 years and have tremendous success while trolling with different rapalas. This year has been the same except for the rough waters and freakish temps. I have done the same out of I-bay and Hughes with the same great luck. I use minnow raps, shad raps, and the occaisonal fat rap. Fire tiger is the number one color.

where do you launch out that way? I need to fish closer to home. Is I bay the closest launch to Hedges too?

I launch out of bear creek. Resident pass is only $15 a year and the launch is only 5 minutes from my house.

non resident pass is 100.00 for the season and the bad part is that non residents can only use the ramp on weekdays only :@

and the only time i have is on weekends

Can you pay to launch for 1 time or do you have to buy a season pass to launch there? What is the name of the marina or launch?

No, you can't pay as you go. I do believe the non-resident pass is $50 a season and I'm not sure the weekend ban is still in effect as hardly anyone uses the launch regardless of weekday or weekend. Bad part is that they tore up the launch for repairs and have not put the dock back in. Great timing to the wing nut who picked this time of the year to do repairs.

BP you can pay as you go for the Bear Creek Launch... Stop by the Ontario Town Hall and they will explain to you that is $5.00 to launch and that you can only use the launch on weekdays not weekends..... Ginna has been using the launch exclusively in recent months for a major project and they are going to upgrade the entire launch area once there project is complete this summer....... Dale

• 2 months later...

Launch at Hugh's marina in Williamon , right off lake road $5.00 ( just past Pultneyville and the Pultney Harbor , look for the sigh once you go by the B Forman Park. ) The best spot out of Bear Creek is Hungerfer shoals which it to the east of the creek about a mile down. I grew up in Ontario and fished out infront of the power plant and shoal scince I was 15. To bad we can't get into the plant anymore!!!