Species Breakdown: 2 Kings

Hot Lure: Silver Prism echip/watermelon fly

Trolling Speed: 2.7 mph

Boat Depth: 130 - 200 ft

Lure Depth: 35 - 65 ft

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Got a bit of a late start due to a bass fishing tourny being run at our launch! I think we were 9th in line to hit the ramp. :devil: Anyway, finally got on the water at 6:25 and set-up over 80 fow in front of Port Bay. We marked a few fish around 50 ft down and continued to troll out deeper. It wasn't long before we had the first release on the 52 ft rigger over 130 fow on an NK Black Raspberry Mag, but no hook-up. We turned around and went back through the waypoint and the same rigger fired over 130 fow. We landed a real nice 20 lb king (and 2 lb lamprey) and my buddy Colin (2nd timer on the big pond) was very happy! :clap: Set back up and headed back through our waypoint and hooked up again on the 62 ft rigger with a mupped Black/Green Glow Ladderback NK. This king was at the surface within seconds and soared completely out of the air right behind the boat!! :o This fish was BIG (I would easily say 25+ lbs). When the fish hit the water it took off like a rocket screaming across the surface all the way out to 250 ft, followed by two more leaps out of the air!! What a show! Colin continued to fight this monster all the way back to within 50 ft of the boat (I had all lines clear for the landing of this beast) when it made a mad dash right towards the boat. When Colin caught up the fish was gone... ;(:devil: What a fight though!! :yes: We set back up and the fish had disappeared, so went into search mode and found them again 2 hours later a bit west when our 175 ft wire took off screaming over 140 fow with a silver prism echip pulling a watermelon fly. It ran out to 575 ft and shook free. :devil: Another good fish lost! As soon as that rod got reset it fired again and we boated a nice 16 lb king. Over the next hour we hooked up two more times on the same rod and once on the 65 ft rigger with a UV Green Echip/NBK Fly, but unfortunately we couldn't keep any of them buttoned!! I would say it could be the hooks, but those flies were brand new out of the box and lazer sharp. After 10:30 the fish shut off for us and we called it a day at 12:00 with a 2 for 8 record.

A great day on the water, two good fish in the box, and some great memories and visions of the "Monster that got away" that also gave us a great show! Here is Colin with his fish:

The 20 lb'er:

DSCN2053.jpg

Both fish back at home:

DSCN2056-1.jpg

I'm hoping to get out a couple times this coming week as long as the weather holds and tornadoes aren't touching down like today!! :o