Downrigger speed and temp monitor? Which one to purchase?

I own a 23ft cuddy with cannon mag10 riggers. I fish Ontario several times a year? I have a rare medical condition which limits the times I can fish not to mention financial considerations. I want to purchase a downrigger speed and temp system for my boat. It is a very tough decision to find out which system fits my situation.

I have studied the pros and cons of the Depthraider, sub-toll 900, and the canon system which is the lease expensive. I would appreciate any opinions or advice on which system to go with. Does the sub-troll work with uncoated cable? Is that an advantage? Thanks so much! John

Fish Hawk X-4. No coated cable, reads to 300', small probe, runs on 4 AA batteries that last a long time, Probe electronics are sealed so it will not get ruined if it fills with water, compact monitor. It is all personal preferance. Depth Raider, Fishhawk, Subtroll or Cannon.

We sell the Sub Troll, Depth Raider, and the new Fish Hawk X4 here at Fat Nancy's and all of them have a strong following of customers. Maybe because it's new but the X4 is out selling all the others combined this year and we are having a hard time keeping it in stock even though it costs at least $100 more than the others. Reports so far on the X4 are that the smaller probe is a huge improvement over the old one and the new display is very easy to see without being right on top of it. We just got 3 in this afternoon (7/31) but I don't expect them to last long. Rob

• 1 month later...