Ugly Marine Forecast and effects?

fdny76

I just checked the marine forecast and it says the temp off Rochester is 45'F. I'm guessing the Lake turned over with all this weather. I'm new to running my own boat for summer salmon, how will this affect fishing? Bring them in closer, push em out? Any tips during dramatic lake changes? 4-6 footers predicted tomorrow looks like she'll spend another day at the dock...

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris, It should have brought them in temporarily. It's a local upwelling that we normally get a little earlier in the month. Strong westerlies should take it right back up. I'd expect down currents to be really wicked as the west winds are picking up with small craft warnings up for tomorrow. Sleeping in sounds like the best choice.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Well that weather forecast got me as i rescheduled my charter. Cold water upwellings here lift fish HIGH in the water column. The higher the fish the MORE they move/travel, once fish loose ALL contact with lake bottom they keep moving with larger warm water pockets/bait & currents. Not good news for us, you will see browns in top 50' OVER 400' miles off shore while the majority of fish will head east(deeper-stable water less impact of northeast lake roll over. Fish just don't reappear in LARGE numbers again. It usually takes days.

WATCH THE SALMON-BROWN L.O.C. LEADER BOARD from aug 28th(lake inshore cold water) till labor day. You will see Sodus bay EAST to Henderson cut start to take majority of places.

GOOD news for us here is you fish this type of water 2 ways

TIGHT to shore HIGH & EARLY or the best way is too go offshore and fish it as a reverse break(same as spring thermal bar fishing IN REVERSE) this is best chance to get those BIG Canadien silver-fresh kings coming across lake now, Down cold water break will slow these fish up temporarily off shore IF BAIT IS THERE ALSO!

Best of luck

JERRY

RUNNIN REBEL

No problem John,

What else am i doing at 6AM watching lake?

Notice the RED BELLIES and some tank tales on the fish pics you see now (were Fish stuck to bottom) Not no more! WATCH OUT OSWEGO /east end basin.

ONLY strong northwest winds pushing in warm water/deeper temps will slow them up down there.

GOOD luck if & when we get out John.

JERRY

RUNNIN REBEL

Hey Chris,

Yeah, I was out yesterday and I caught 1 Steel 119' - 20 down. Marks were all over the board with the majority up in 10-20fow.

Looking at the conditions now (8/30 9:30am), Looks calm from the shore (SSW wind) but those boats are rocking out there in 100fow. Stay home an knit

Well that weather forecast got me as i rescheduled my charter. Cold water upwellings here lift fish HIGH in the water column. The higher the fish the MORE they move/travel, once fish loose ALL contact with lake bottom they keep moving with larger warm water pockets/bait & currents. Not good news for us, you will see browns in top 50' OVER 400' miles off shore while the majority of fish will head east(deeper-stable water less impact of northeast lake roll over. Fish just don't reappear in LARGE numbers again. It usually takes days.

WATCH THE SALMON-BROWN L.O.C. LEADER BOARD from aug 28th(lake inshore cold water) till labor day. You will see Sodus bay EAST to Henderson cut start to take majority of places.

GOOD news for us here is you fish this type of water 2 ways

TIGHT to shore HIGH & EARLY or the best way is too go offshore and fish it as a reverse break(same as spring thermal bar fishing IN REVERSE) this is best chance to get those BIG Canadien silver-fresh kings coming across lake now, Down cold water break will slow these fish up temporarily off shore IF BAIT IS THERE ALSO!

Best of luck

JERRY

RUNNIN REBEL

JERRY, REVERSE fish it do you mean the warm water is down and come up out of it looking for the temp brake ? just wondering this cuz i saw a ton of fish way down in the 200 too 350 down over 370 to 450fow saturday , even sent my probe out 175 trying too see if the warmer water was down with the lake flipping but still had 40s with all that cable out and a ton of blow back . was killing me too have a dream sceen on the fish finder , sent a flasher way down too try and draw em up into my spread but didnt get em to move ,lol thats fish in . JOHN