Cayuga derby boat traffic incident 9/12

chowder

Overall we had a great time at Split Shot's "Last minute Derby" on 9/12. Thank you Scott and Barney for all the hustling around and running the weigh in after the other derby was canceled! Scott I hope you are feeling better! We did have an incident late in the day that bothers me and I would like to offer an apology to any one we inconvenienced. As we approached T-Falls creek from the south in 150' one of our riggers fired and we had a big fish on (this fish wound up taking the Lunker pool). As we rounded the point, I turned around from fighting the fish and saw 2 boats approaching from the north around the other side of the point. The outside boat was bearing right at us, so w/ a fish on it seemed best to pass between the two boats, more or less continuing our present course. No response on the radio.The outside boat continued on course, seemingly intent on a shallow pass across the mouth of the creek, and we did not seem to have much choice but to move in a little (fish still on). The inside boat, which I believe was Mower's appeared to get into shallow water and pulled lines. John, I am truly sorry if we squeezed you in. We continued up the lake, landing the fish, and headed towards the Scout camp. With nothing on the screen,we turned to cross the lake. As we approached mid lake, I became aware of a boat heading north, at this point I turned slightly more south( as much as I could w/ 6 lines out) to avoid being in this boats heading, I could see now that this was the outside boat from the incident at T-Falls creek. I am not sure what happened at this point but it did seem to me like this individual was intent on a confrontation because he wound up cutting across my stern w/ less than 100' to spare. I pointed out my boards and he said "I see that but I all ready turned out around you once!" To this individual I also apologize. I will say that I did originally attempt to pass behind you, as it appeared to me to be my only real option. In retrospect I feel badly about both incidents and I will try harder in the future to act earlier w/ respect to other boats. I do think we all need to be willing to change course slightly even if we had to do so before w/ the same boat. -Andy (Blue/White Starcraft Islander)

Chowder, That boat your talking about was me. When we first came across one another At T-Falls I headed out towards deep water as soon as I saw you come around the point, not a big deal to me, I saw you on the rod and and tried to give you as much room as I could. The second time we crossed paths is a different story. Knowing now that you wanted to get behind me explains a lot. I seen you heading east and looking at my watch I figured you to be heading to the weight station, so I go minus 35 on my auto pilot to pass behind you. Then I see you turning down on me and that's when I said to my 83 year old fishing partner the same thing you were most likely saying to yours, "What the hell is this guy doing?" I hit minus 10 one more time and that's all the course change I had left with what I was dragging, that's what I ment by I had already turned out once, not the deal at T-Falls. So anyhow that's how I saw it all happen, you would be hard pressed to get me out looking for "confrataion" on the weekends, life is just to dam short, and that wasn't case. Just two boats heading for the same water, I also think looking back now that with that north wind your "slight" south turn looked more aggressive than it was ment to be. Non-issue as far as I'm concerned, see you on the water. Mark (black and tan Lund)

Chowder,

I hadn't even given much thought, we run a pretty tight pattern around t-falls to attempt to grab a brown on the structure and not loose a rigger weight or dipsey. the shallow water is no big deal if you didn't push us in I would have challenged my luck anyway. And to everybody when running two man crews like we do alot goes on when a fish hits, as long as the intention is not malicious in nature I say keep fishing and by reeling in a rod it is one less you question to have weeds on it.

To everybody a few of us me and I'm sure others run copper down the chute or off boards, give us some room, if I have 500 copper behind the boat and catch another guys rigger, you know how much $$ I just lost. And I will probably make an effort to express myself so you understand not to do the same thing. Reason I mention this is it happened two weeks ago and I only lost the S/D and fly but I was nervous on where I was going to break off.

And thanks to Scott and Barney for the informal tournament, it was fun and it's got me thinking that next weekend is going to have alot of big fish coming in.

Now that's the way it should be worked out!! no name calling, no rude finger jesters, no flare guns.

When fishing around other boats it is bound to happen. We should all just keep our kool and remember that most of us will not intentionally cause problems for other boaters.

KUDOS :yes:

Mark

Now that's the way it should be worked out!! no name calling, no rude finger jesters, no flare guns.

When fishing around other boats it is bound to happen. We should all just keep our kool and remember that most of us will not intentionally cause problems for other boaters.

KUDOS :yes:

Mark

Amen Mark.

NO reason to waste these on fellow fisherman when there are so man sailboats around. I will find a video on Youtube of a flare being sent into a sail and post it on here. If I don't, I would like someone to make this next years summer project.

What a bunch 0f amatures ,no tangles,equiptment lost,No one finger salute ,no following back to dock to confront we are truley becoming a nation of wooses ,now break out the waterballon launcher , giant squirt guns,potato launchers, raise the "salute" and give the verbal words we all know you were born with... Nice post Chowder (hey invent a cow chip tosser or fill some of those ballons with some of that nice brown liqued from the trouth..) That way if they follow you to the launch rub it all over yourself and tell em to have at you :lol:

Fill up bottle with the liquid of choice, blow up ballon and put it over the mouth of bottle . Invert and when ballon is full , tie it off and its ready to deliver 8):rofl: Used Itlain salad dressing when I was a wee lad