Chautauqua - Nov 22

Had a chance to take advantage of the nice weather we had on Sunday. Capt. Mike had a charter and Joe and myself wanted to get out and test out some of our new equipment casting.

The day started out fast. On my 5th cast I hooked up throwing a brown Wooly Bulley bucktail. We were in 15-20 feet of water throwing to a ledge that still held some weeds in about 5 feet of water. The fish was mid-30's and after a quick photo, back she went. You wouldn't have never known it wasn't a monster by how it fought though. It stayed deep and kept peeling line and staying down. I was in the same area that "the monster" showed her head last time I was out with Mike.

We had a good wind for a drift going and on our second pass, I hooked up again! This time it was a low 30's fish I caught on a jerkbait that I can not remember the name of. I know it is sold at the happy hooker baitshop and they told me it is made by a local guy. Its a 5" wood bait that suspends nicely and has a great rattle in it. Color was Michigan Perch. Pictures to come soon!

We then tried trolling for a bit but with no luck. Didn't see much on the screen so we went back to casting and were able to raise another fish but couldn't get any hooks in her (mid to low 30's again).

Mike was able to raise two fish (one nice fish mid-40's) but couldn't hook up. The charter then wanted to do some perch fishing as they had their daughter along and they did very well on the perch. Infact, I heard other reports from Brian & Lisa at the Happy Hooker that the perch fishing has been nothing short of fantastic lately.

In all it was a great day! The worst part is knowing that I will have a wait a while now before getting a chance to do it again next year. What a great year though overall! I learned so much (mainly from you stellar LOU folks!) and have a come along ways in my tactics/techniques for fishing this elusive game fish.

On a side note, Bass Pro Shops seems to be liquidating all of their Pete Mania related items including the rods and reels. Everything was marked down 40-50% so I was able to pick up a nice 7'6 heavy action Pete Mania rod for $69 bucks. Joe also grabbed one along with the Pete Mania reel (both $69 bucks). Unfortunately they don't make the Pete Mania reel in a left handed version or I would have have also jumped on that deal as well.

Good luck to everyone else and enjoy the last few days of the season!

C

Thanks Zach! Its not that I have transformed into a caster, its just that one day I was out and didn't mark a single fish or catch anything all day trolling only to find out that the SAME day Capt. Mike was lighting them up in 5 feet of water casting.

I wanted to practice and become good enough at both so that I have that option should the day call for it. I like to think that I troll 50% and cast 50%. Musky fishing is hard enough as is and I didn't want to limit myself to only a single style especially considering how much I enjoy both options.

Chad..

We've been whacking the perch for the better part of 6 weeks nows.

Tons of action, which has kept my son pretty happy! Actually had

a fish fry tonight with relatives in for T-day!

John

sounds like a great day out there...the harbor wasn't so kind to us but was great to get familiar with it and the river on such a nice day!

sounds like the lure you're talking about it is a latiano jerkbait...but I thought I heard the guy wasn't making em anymore ...hmmm

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Brad, Ed Lationo passed away,he was making Lationo Jerk Baits right up to his last days.I do not believe Howard Wagner at the Fish Education Center has any left either. Leo Jerk 6" will work simular,get all black w/silver glitter belly.The Newman Jerk is also a good copy.Happy Hooker Bait Shop has both!

Capt. Larry