Using Black Locust for Planner boards

I'm building a new set of boards and thought I would give Blck Locust (the natural pressure treated wood) a go. My only concern was the weight of this stuff vs. cedar/pine. Then again I see posts were guys were drilling lead into the bottom of the boards for better stability. Any thoughts before I build.

Thanks....

well they ant gonna rot for a while....i used pine and painted they worked good for 2 13 hr days of straight trollin in a derby by the third day i could see a little less board ,but they still pulled real good,and after a good day of sun they were back to normal ,, probly used the wrong paint but used the first thing bright i found on the shelf.....cedar is supposed to be pretty good ...the pine ones i made 15 yrs ago were still usable and fine last i looked at em ..guess if boyancy was a concern id try the float test in the bathtub with one slab (edgways) .......you just gotta do the splaning to the wife how you got a splinter um down there............

One of the first things I learned as a carpenter was "water on wood no good" Oak doesn't like water it turns black when it gets wet . You wont be able to completly seal the boards forever. a small crack will let water in. Use redwood or cedar. Thats whats best and easiest available for exterior wood localy. Pricy wood though& hard to get. Mathews & Fields in Roch has it.

YEARS AGO, I made mine out of an old pine board and painted it. They're in the same condition now as when I first made them. A coat of paint every other year lessens water intrusion and is a lot cheaper than a piece of redwood or cedar. K.I.S.S. is applied here respectfully. :lol:

Spill water on unfinished oak white or red steps & they turn black . I have had to vigorisly sand them out on many occasions due to being uncoverd , nothing to do with the fasteners. Not the best choice for planer boards. Better choices out there. I had a wood boat that had an oak tramsom board rot out. I replaced it w/ teak.

when i had my first boat tramson rot i replaced with balsa wood much lighter and i got 2 times the life out of my batteries......................................it took 4 c-cells ,shulda gone plastic, mom always left my boat in the tub too and that caused the rot ,,,,,,,,,,,,godd ole rubber ducky is as good as new if ya keep the whistle dry..

That's the first I've heard about Locust being toxic. Here is what Wikipedia had to offer.

Unlike the pods of the honey locust, but like those of the related European Laburnum, the black locust's pods are toxic. In fact, every part of the tree, especially the bark, is considered toxic, with the exception of the flowers. However, various reports have suggested that the seeds and the young pods of the black locust can be edible when cooked, since the poisons that are contained in this plant are decomposed by heat. Horses that consume the plant show signs of anorexia, depression, diarrhea, colic, weakness, and cardiac arrhythmia. Symptoms usually occur about 1 hour following consumption, and immediate veterinary attention is required.

Should I take any special precautions working with it. I built a large dock with it once and saw no ill effects. Just curious? The first planner board (32") is built and the primer is drying. I was only able to get a 45 degree angle on the planner lip. The plans called for 60, hope it is ok (the locust really maked the power equipment grumble).

Lava - I used to make a lot of wooden toys out of different hardwoods. When I heard that stuff was toxic - oh well, guess I don't use that stuff....

Just wear a good repirator and goggles if you're doing it in the basement. (something better than a painters mask) It's really the sanding dust that might bother you. (unless you decide to take a bite out of it) Chances are outside, building a dock, there was plenty of wind carrying it sawdust away from you so I wouldn't worry about that project.

Guess you found out why they call it the "ironwood of the east." It will burn up the blades. All fasteners will require just a slightly larger than normal pilot hole.

45 shouldn't bother it too much. However you may have to move your eyebolt towards the rear a little.

Another thing to keep your eye on. When it does get water logged - It sinks. :$

Lets see a picture

Tom B.

(LongLine)

BTW - Honey Locust has a beautiful grain pattern