Long fly leaders

Gill-T

I have noticed on Youtube video clips that the fly leaders on Lake Michigan and west coast fisherman are REALLY long. I was wondering if this is a trend others can verify as effective on Lake O? Some of the west coast meat rigs looked like the leaders were 5-7' behind the flasher!

I was reading tips on using 11" Hot Shot Flashers and in this "How To" it reccomends:

Running under 40 fow send your (30 lb. test) line out 30 - 70' from release to the 11" Flasher and 60" (30 LB. test) from Flasher to bait at trolling speed of 2.3 - 3.0 mph. They claim this will result in the bait to spin 60 rpm's.

Run deeper than 40 fow send the (30 lb. test) line out 18' from release to 11" flasher and 42" (30 lb. test) leader from flasher to bait at same speed.

Anyone ever use Hot Shot Flashers?

Shade

michigan fishermen are goin old school. they have been runnin fly with the 11" paddles and a 40" leader for a couple of yrs now. they run leads off the ball less the 10' for more action. ive ran this combos a couple of times when i fish ontario and had good success. i think you guys should try it and you'll be impressed with the results.

dont forget that fishtails and i will be at the losta show selling big weenie products.

dont forget that fishtails and i will be at the losta show selling big weenie products.

Jeff J and Final Flight will be with us too (The whole Lucky Enuff Team) Stop by and say hi...we'll have some amazing new BW products availible for you to look at and/or take home.... and some super sweet LOTSA show only deals!! Some of the new Big Weenie Brand flys are gonna blow you away!! Gary has assured me we'll have plenty of meat rigs on hand too :yes::yes:

Over here on Lake Mi the hot set up was a big paddle 11" flasher with a 42" leader to the fly. The hottest boats here kicked butt with that. How do I Know? One of the guys owns a tackle shop and he asked for the flies to be rigged that way with those yellow beads. We have the 11" big shooters but you can use the DW big paddles,or any 11" you have. As for LOTSA, great deals that those guys will have and some new flies that will be brand new to the market. Guys had this material last year and its smokin hot. Thanks guys, BW

Gary,

Thanks for the update/info on what is HOT selling, because most of the time that is what is WORKING BEST !!!! I see you are a major advertiser here on L.O.U. And your product will be on display/for sale at LOTSA seminar. If myself or anybody else needs these custom rig set-ups i assume clicking on your advertiser banner on L.O.U would get us the info/orders we need. Thanks again for latest product updated hot/new trends.

JERRY

RUNNIN REBEL

I got spanked one fall off the Genny by a guy using a longer fly leader than me. We generally stick with 22-24" leaders, but he was using 30" leaders. Wish he would have told me that earlier in the day! It all comes down to confidence and the mood the fish are in. That's why there are never any real constants when fishing.

I agree with Rick that it depends on what mood the fish are in as to leader length. I"m sure that some days it wouldn't matter but some days a longer or shorter leader would be the ticket.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the LOTSA show. Can't wait to see what new things Gary has come up with. I know that what I have used so far has been great and I'm sure the new stuff will be that too!!!

See everyone in a couple of weeks.

Jeff

Hey Jerry, You use to coach UNLV? :) Of course whats hot is whats working but the big flashers have made a big comeback over here. Yea we buy a ad on here as we feel its only right if your going to sell product you should pay your way. Send me your address and I will be happy to send you a couple of the new flies to check out. Always like peoples input. Big Flashers are on the site as combos with flies with long fluorocarbon leaders. Thanks so much, BW