23' trophy kicker size???

Guest coreysheils06

Guest coreysheils06

I have a 83 23' trophy with a 125 outboard..... I have more than enough room on the transom for a kicker and know I need a long shaft but dont know the HP I will need? I would like a 2 stroke to keep the weight down. I usually just fish the finger lakes(cayuga mostly). Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Guest coreysheils06

Does it need to be a high trust? I was looking to get an older used one. Dont see alot of older high thrusts out there for sale.

The high thrust model will push the boat better. The motors are designed to move sailboats and

displacement hulls at a lower speed. I think the 9.9 has a 15 or 25 hp gear case with better gear ratios. They now have the clearance to run a bigger diameter, low pitch prop. This keeps the prop from cavitating and moves the boat better than a small prop with a lot of slippage.

I have been looking for a used 9.9 four stroke for sometime...decided to buy brand new...Yamaha T9.9.

Good luck.

Ray

I have a 23' Trophy Hardtop with an older 9.9 kicker. No problems at all on Keuka but have had to start the main motor a few times on Seneca to keep from doing a complete 180 and with 4 riggers down guess what your gonna do for the next half hour. Mine is not a high thrust, but I would agree it would make a big difference.

I also have a 23' trophy hardtop (2359) and am on my second 9.9 yama HT motor.

the only reason i am on my second one is that i had the first one for 12 years and just thought i should get a new one. the guy isold the old one to used it chartering,

get a 4 stroke, just for the quietness, use a portable tank if you have to.

p.s. and reliabilty. john :)

I just added a Yamaha T8 high thrust tiller model with power trim from Ship yard Marine (very competitive pricing) and would highly recommend it.Very easy starting. In the end I really think you will be way ahead to stay away from older, used 2 strokes and cheap adjustable kicker brackets. Spend your precious time fishing not fighting fumes and somebodies old headaches. I actually did the math on this for what it's worth!

Ran a 9.9 Yamaha on my last boat( 21' Trophy) with great results.I now run a Yamaha T8 with elec start & power tilt on my 24' Seacraft.The boat weighs over 5000 lbs with tackle fuel and crew,and the T8 pushes it at all salmon speeds with no problems.

If you're in snotty conditions with big wind and waves,no kicker is going to work that great,but in almost all conditions it performs flawlessly.

The high thrust is really the way to go,as they have a different gear ratio,and a different prop.They are made for pushing heavy loads like sailboats,They don't have to work nearly as hard as a standard model to push a big load.

I have the 9.9 high thrust on my 23ft Parker 7000lbs and have trolled into 6 to 8ft waves with no problem. No one could stand up on the boat and the kicker throtle was now where maxed out. Either the T8 OR 9 will work great, and I would sell most of my gear to get the 4 stroke I cant stand to smell the gas fumes from a 2 stroke.

I am using Shipyard Marina too. My motor is the T9.9GPXH and is on order. Very competitive pricing. Here is the link...

http://shipyardisland.com/YamahaSpecials-T8.htm

If you decide the four stroke route and if you have a fuel water seperator on your boat, then you can connect your fuel line to it. Most seperators have 2 inlets and 2 outlets.

Good luck with the decision.

Ray