Niagara Bar jigs?

I like using jigs on the bar for lakers using spinning rods and 10 lb test, what a blast. I have had luck on bucktails, swimbait style, etc. but cant seem to find a ryme or reason go to jig. Anyone out there have any favorites? size, color, etc.? Thanks BP

Saltwater striper-style white bucktail jig from Cabelas, either 1 oz, 1 and 1/2 oz, or 2 oz, depending on the wind. We've done okay on these the past few years :)

Im surprised at how heavy you're going. Ive used 1 oz before and thought it was overkill. I have no problem staying on bottom with 1/2 using 10 lb test (then again Im used to using 1/16 oz jigs for perch) . Is it true lakers really like chartruese? It worked well once for me but only once. Any other jig syles other than twister tails?

Walleye colors. White, chartreuse, yellow, orange, and glow. Weight depends on where you are fishing. In the trench, you need a little heavier weight. Up on the bar away from the trench, the current lessens. I like to use a jig with a short shank and apply a minnow, with a stinger hook. You would be shocked how many fish you are missing without a stinger. Make sure the hook shank is stout enough (saltwater gear) for when you hook that 20lb er.

I allways take a spining rod with me whan I fish the bar. I use exactly what I use in Florida for inshore fishing. A 3/8 -3/4 oz. white bucktail w/ crystal flash on a med heavy action rod w/ 20 lb power pro and 20 lb test floro leader. Make sure you tie jig on w/ a rapala knot so it swings freely, I think it makes a dif. Did well on it at times. No prob's staying down. Like drift fishing for smallies.

Bp,

You might want to take " Gator" s advise on this one, His boat "Nothin But Net" has put a Lake Trout on the board for the last 4 years and

having the pleasure of being a part of it I'll tell you flat out 1 1/2 ounce white bucktail will produce 99% of the time. Ya might even hook a sturgeon, every year someone on the boat sticks one. :D

I'll give it a try thanks. Is that a round head or banana shape or flat?

Cabela's, Spro buck tail jigs their sold from 1/2 to I think 3 ozs. Not cheap but high end jigs tied on Gamagatsu lead heads. To answer your question about shape their somewhat torpedo shaped. Just restocked my supply because you will lose a few if your fishing it right. That is Real close to the bottom.