Warning: Drain I/Os

I would seriously consider draining your I/O today (or yesterday) if your boat is out of the water in an exposed location. We are experiencing an unprecedented period of dangerously cold weather w/ a windchill below 20 degrees. Also, if you did not trim down & drain your outboard after the last use you probably should. It's better to be safe than sorry when dealing with Mother Nature when she's pissed even if it is Mother's Day!

Chowder, I took the appropriate action and dropped her in the slip yesterday. I figure what better place to have it then in the lake for this crazy weather. I told my fiance, w/ this cold weather, I'm leaving the i/o and kicker down in the water. One other thing to mention is make sure your hulls are dry, it stinks if your bilges freeze up and you find out when you need them.

Mower

Where my boat is the temp stayed just above freezing and should tonight. From what ive read the wind chill temp below 32 will not freeze anything, only when its below 32 ambient. If it was not a 3 hr r/t ride I would follow your advice to be safe.

BTW - The East side of cayuga looked like the ocean, actual breaking/rolling waves hitting the shore line.

I had calf pails with 3" water frozen solid this morning & it's supposed to be colder tonight and Mon. night. If the temp goes to 27 (as predicted) and there is wind then there is going to be some pretty hard water here and there.

I live up by the Binghamton Airport in the town of Miane. Our ground was white w/ snow this moring. Could just see the tips of the grass and the deck and truck was covered. My company does alot of snow plowing in the winter and when my fiance woke me saying there was an inch of snow on the ground, I sprung out of bed. she laughed for nothing stuck to our drive way. Way too cold for this time of year. So Andy if we have snow on the hay will you still cut it? Imagine that- saying I can't make first cutting till the snow melts.

I drained my I/O & drive and now with a clear conscience I'm making a good winter time venison stew with turnips, potatoes, onions, and carrots. Let it snow, it will slow down the hay crop and we might be in Barney's yet!

I think (hope) if your boat is even drydocked near Lake O, you should be ok with the NW winds flowing over 45 degree water should buffer the lakeshore temps. As of now 8:18 in Buffalo, it is 52 degrees, but no cloud cover.