Slider line wt.

Hmm ,guess it depends what yer targeting ,i would never consider running 12 lb main in the first place with a slider not that it cant be done ,but the only hookset you get (first hit) is dependent on the tension of your main line even a razor sharp hook ant gonna grab much lip..

Then ya gotta remember abrasion,knot strength,release wear, and a few hundred tail beatings as the fish swims away during the fight and if yer running dypsys and the fish rises into your cable you better have your cat like reflexes ready to clear . Some times when the fishing is real good (salmon) ill run the ultra light with a rigger setup only so i can shutdown and play out the fish but after the fight its gotta go in the box due to exhaustion.

Id say in answering yer question all my sliders are 15 lb 90% of the time , If im in a derby i might sep up to 20 for inshurance,on 20 lb main line..Id say match yer mainline at that small of dia.

if yer gonna run the small dia id suggest running clean spoon program ,personally id rather have a fussy fish pass my 15 to 20 lb test than loose my favorate spoon ..

Thanks guys, I guess I should have said what I'll be doing up there. I am taking my 16 foot boat on my own. Since I can only use two rods, sliders on the riggers will give me two more in a sense.. As for a target I'll be be fishing for whatever I can get in the boat, lol. Actually, I was going to try for some browns with a spoons and plugs, but if it gets slow.......

I have landed king salmon on 12 lb test off a rigger, but that was on a tournament boat with a lot of experience on board. None mine, of course.....It was all about holding onto the fish and letting the drag do its thing. I won't have to worry about clearing a whole lot if I would run into some.

I do have 2 Tica open faced reels spooled with 20 lb test I use for stripers on the Atlantic. No laws against using an open face reel is there? I could run a heavier leader there for sure. I have some 15 lb Seaguar here somewhere....

I really appreciate the help.

Breakoffs are rare. Use something different then your mainline, its easier to untangle. We always have 12, 20, and 30# leaders ready to go at all times.

For free sliders, use heavy mono, because it floats more and easier to untangle. Fluorcarbon sinks. Typically, I can see my cheater lure on the graph approx. 3-4' above the main line. I would be apprehensive about using 12lb for a main line with a cheater. A heavier main line bows out more to keep the cheater from getting into the bottom lure. Remember, once the cheater is deployed, you can adjust your downrigger down, but not up or you will have tangles. You can also pin the cheater with a OR-16 red offshore release on the cable and a rubber band to secure the cheater.

If you are only going to be running 2 rods, you might want to consider using at least one Roemer liberator instead of 2 free sliders just b/c then you will have more control over where the cheater baits sits in the water column.Also, you won't have quite the control over a large fish w/ a spinning reel that you do w/ a trolling reel nor will it be as easy to control your leads behind the weight.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I got up to the lake and had motor trouble right out of the box. :( Hopefully, I'll be headed back up mid-week after repairs.

I'll be sure to be putting the methods to practice after changing a few things around.

Thanks again.