Eastern Erie Walleye.. 6/25 - 27

Sluggo / NY

Finally made it back out to Erie for some walleye trolling. Launched out of Barcelona and tried both east and west. Lake was flat both Friday and Saturday.. so was the fishing! We did manage four good fish each day, but spent 9 or 10 hours working for them! Sunday was looking better! A little breeze giving about 1 footers or so. We ran to the PA line and started trolling back towards the harbor. Had a 10#er before the second rod was rigged! Picked up another just a few minutes later! Grabbed five more before we had to head home early.. hated to leave! Almost everything came on harnesses behind dipsies.. a couple came on Renowski's off the riggers. Down about 45ft over 75 seemed best for us. Be back out in a few weeks! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Chris... you were not alone. A.m. bite was tough in the Dunkirk area both days.

And both days, from what I've heard, it really lit up after noon. Not unusual with

the full moon to have that late bite.

We've been parked since Sunday waiting for the winds to let up...not looking good

for Thurs either, but the weekend looks promising!

Sunday morning off the Catt was dead also. Flat glass calm water and full moon is NOT condusive for a good walleye bite. Good news is there is a crap load of stuff on the graph, bait/perch etc. You walleye guys need to give me some good spread ideas. Sunday I was running a 2 color core and 115' copper off the boards, a downrig on the bottom and a 40 jet down the shoot. I was not happy with the copper......seems not to undulate like the core. Should I pull the copper and go with a 6-7 color? Maybe sprinkle in some dipsys? Seemed after the full moon feed, fish were all up above 25' in the morning.

Run double hatchet or double willow blades off either inline weights or snap weights for higher fish. If the bite is deeper run dipsey's with these same baits, run a long flourcarbon leader. Copper/gold backed blades on the spinners, white back blades as well. run slower 1.4-.2.0 Pink, purple, white, chartruse beads will work.

If you want to crank fish, try a purple sunfire deep husky, glass clown, or blue chrome in deep husky's size 12. Thundersticks in blue prism, purple prism. Reef Runners, try natural shades or bare naked baits, pearl ghost, rainbow prism. For whatever reason these are the best colors and baits to run in super clean water. You can run the cranks a little faster. I would snap weight the cranks to get them deep, 3 oz 30-50 in front of the bait, total of 150-200 back will put you in the 40-50 ft zone,depending on what bait you run.

Don't overlook shallow stickbaits renosky's or bombers, ripsticks off the dipsey's as well. run black dipsey's only.

If I were to fish it I would leave the leadcore and copper at home. I'd. Run 4 planer boards and (wo dipsys. On the one side purple descent taildancers 11. Outside 200 back, inside 125 with a 1 oz snapweight 65 feet above. The other side I would do the same with renosky deep divers in the purple pink. I would run braid dipsys on a 3 setting 85 and 105 out. I'd experiment on those with. Floating shallow sticks and harnesses. Remember active walleye will come up 30 ft to hit a bait. I have found that those deep walleye are harder to get to go. Fish the top 30 feet of water and if they are agrresive they will come up for it. Oh and if you don't mark a lot of fish in the top 30 it doesn't mean that they aren't there ;)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Erie guys, what is your take on hook placement with nightcrawlers. Do I run two cheaters or one and let the end of the worm dance? I have seen worm harnesses with three hooks and end hook is placed at the tip of the nightcrawler to catch those nipping fish.....but that has to kill the action?

Here is what my harnesses look like.

Single blade applications #2 Octopus on top # 6 trebel on the bottom I run these off inline weights or bottom bouncers.

Open water double bladed apps (willows, hatchets) #2 Octopus on top # 4 trebel on the bottom or 6 with double blades I run off dipsey's I tie these short and add them to long flouro leaders, finish off with a ball bearing.

I hook my crawlers right through the nose of the worm, thread it on 1/4 to 1/2 inch, the stick the trebel in it. Let it dangle after the trebel the bigger the better when it comes to worms you want it hanging as straight as possible or it will turn and spiral you don't want that, just a free haning tail. Nippers or not you want alot of tail hanging, all part of the worm game...it's worth it.

xWWSi.jpg

OwbEA.jpg

hd0Ei.jpg