Dunkirk-July 11-Day 2

times two

Day 2 of the New York Walleye Association Derby.

We did 12 fish today; 11 could have been identical twins in 4lb range. We were first group today, which meant 7-2 pm fishing. At 1 pm, we pretty much figured we'd be weighing 5 fish for 17 lbs.....but we managed to hook a 7lber clearing rods off the downrigger....bumped us up to 22lbs, not good enough. Finished in the middle of the pack with 52lbs for 10 fish.....Top boat was 79lbs.

10 color went dead on us today....we figured 10 fish on it yesterday, but only 1 today.

We had cold water move in on the western end of our loop from yesteray...8 degree

break between 50 and 55 feet....

Chattersticks were again good and we actually had better luck with the 5" today.

Mojo WD stayed hot off the riggers.

I think it might have been too calm today.....

Fish fry to end the night....bacon wrapped walleye, deep fried walleye, and we did a pan fried with a crushed jalapeno pretzel crust that was awesome!

John

Hey this is a fishing report !!!!!! not "Hells kitchen" or "rachels 30 min meals" ya done got me drewling all over the key board and its the wifes computer hmmmmmmm "THE DOG DID IT"....

Howed alibi do? Well flat water might of slowed things but better than 6 ftrs at least the derby went well and i assume everyone went home without anyone "dunkin " their boats..

Thanks for keeping our intrest satisified ...

For anyone interested in chasing and "catching" some tasty Walleye i would strongy suggest this year and soon ........and if yua wanna up your odds of bringing home yer limit get ahold of TIMES TWO CHARTERS Capt.John has a great fishing platform and a ever greater ability to put fish in the boat. and if he is booked he can hook you up with another reliable charter....(almost as good) :lol:

Mark, I absolutely think the migration is early. We pretty much agreed last year that the ohio fish never quite got

to Dunkirk, as the water for most of the summer last year was 7-8 degrees colder. That quick warm up this May

certainly helped. Between Fri, Sat and Sun, we boated 51 walleye, and I'll bet 40 were in that 3-4 lb range. Great

eaters, quick to clean. From what I heard last night, the guys that stayed offshore a bit more had a lot less fish, but

the ones they did get were big. As long as the weather holds up, I can see this being good right into later September,

just like it was 3 years ago.

Ray, have you considered a job in Marketing? :) How'd you make out that day you called me last week?

John

Take it from an Ohio walleye guy, the migration is VERY early. Wait another 3-5 weeks and watch your catch rate go up. Geneva is an absolute blood bath of fish right now 36 fish by 11:30 in the morning, all this hot weather we are having. A TON of fish are heading your way! This August/September will be the best you guys have seen in awhile. Enjoy it!

We did two right off the bat and rotted trollin east for two hrs ,pulled and ran to your spot thought you were there ,,,did a double within 10 min then it was gettin a little stormy so we tucked tail and ran ,,,shoulda listened to you first thing :@ ,,,,,,hmm

Thanks for the report. I will be fishing off the catt. Friday and Sat.. Just hail Gill-T Hooker on 68 and I can tell you what is happening east of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Southwest winds cause the thermocline to begin east of Silver Creek. These winds cause the warm water to stack up top to bottom in the eastern end during warm water times like now. 210 feet is the deepest hole located off Long Point but dissolved oxygen content may be low there due to decaying algae and other dead critters. You have to locate the desired dissolved oxygen situation with cooler waters and ultra violet strengths from the sun to locate the right spot to fish at this time of year. But when you do , they are like shooting fish in a barrel.