Wire

Looking for some thoughts on 7 strand vs the new 19 strand wire. I frequently cut 20' off every few weeks to get rid of the curls however I still lost several rigs this year, it's tough to see your dipsey, e-chip, & fly donated the the depths so I think it's time to change the wire. Is the 19 strand more durable? Does anyone else have trouble with breakage or it just me?

Ken

Frisco,my slidediver setup with 40ft.of 40lb test doesn't get curly because the wire is wound onto the spool so I added 15-20ft of mono to wire, on my dipsy rod. No more curly wire. Use a snapswivel welded ring and elongate it to go through guides and tie mono and wire to ring. Try it and see how it works. :)

There are 'issues' w/ the 19 strand, check the archives. I use the 30lb camo AFW from Atomik . Also, keep the dipsy on the rod at all times (much less accidental kinking) - Use a velcro strap to secure diver to the rod handle & wind the leader around the reel & secure the leader w/ a hair zingie. Kills two birds w/ 1 stone (no kinks & less time getting the dipsies in/out of the water.

Actually, I don't use my reg dipsy rigs much any more. Most of the time I use my wire slide divers w/ 20' 30# FC leader. Wire is all on the reel spool (I still secure the diver the same way). Just watch when you spool out the wire slide diver rig- sometimes she catches at the little swivel, so you gotta watch for that snafu! -Andy

Hey Frisco,nice work yesterday, you guys did a hell of a job. Hope you didn't make Eskimo Joe reel in the weed beds to. :D

Andy, sorry I missed you at the weigh in,I don't think I recognized you in summer mode. Mike.

Frisco , I like the seven strand, I get it from Big Lake Outfitters. I only take the dipsey/flasher/fly off when I absolutely have to. I run a piece of velcro around the rod to keep the dipsey is place and another piece around the flasher and the rod. I run alittle longer leader between dipsey and flasher so I can loop the line around the reel and run the flasher/fly back up the rod to a guide. I have had two kinks in three years. You may also want to make sure one of your ball bearing swivels isn't hanging up alittle causing more line twist than you need.

And again, nice job. We were weighing fish and Cheryl says to me "your going to feel like a piece of crap if you take the trophy from the kid". Then she says "maybe we shouldn't have thrown those 18-19 inch rainbows back"? I couldn't win yesterday she basically told me I'm a looser no matter what I did!!!!!!!!!!! Got love it when your loved ones keep you feeling about 3 feet tall. All in all a great day though. For Cheryl and I this is our quality time, we both work hard and long hours all week and just enjoy catching fish.

Are you kidding me Andy............I had boys........how would I know what a hair zingy is!

I had a ball watching Joey catch fish.........Vic won't be able to land a fish for years, that kid is quick when a rod fires off!!

John I'm going to try the floro leader with a slide diver to see how that works!

Ken, Let me know how you like the slide diver? I must say that when something works I have a hard time switching. The dispey for me catches a ton of fish. But I am curious of the pros and cons. Keep me posted.

John

One big + for the SD that is not tossed around much is that you don't have a long leader between your net and the fish. When you get up on LO, you'll see just how much of an advantage that is- depending on the size of your boat's 'dance floor' and how far your partner can back up.

Ken.....this is what you need. McMaster-Carr 7 strand 40lb wire. I switched to this 4 years ago and only had one break-off (from wire abuse). I think it was Bill V (Bill Ruth) that put me onto this wire. He saved me alot of money so far in lost tackle.

They use to make it 1000' spools but I don't see that size any more. Maybe a call to them and they may run you a couple 1,000' spools.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3458t11/=84qyth

40# Crap.... I thought 20# was strong... Is it stiff. Or limp ???

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

You really won’t notice much difference in performance but you’ll definitely notice a difference in saved tackle.

Thanks..I ordered two 500' spools!

500 feet isn't enough for the big Salmon. Also, your spool won't be full enough for the line counter on your reel to be accurate. You'll probably want to tie on about 500 feet of Braided or other backing.

I phoned the company and unfortunately 500' is the largest spool that they make. Have you ever tied wire to wire? If so what type of knot is used?

I only use wire with dipseys it out performs riggers especially in the summer. I set my line counters at 210 & 240 then adjust accordingly until I start catching fish. I'm like most on Cayuga I have boxes of flys & dodgers however a handfull is only necessary. I use e-chips because I'm able to troll faster. For flys greens and white flys are my choices and the same with the e-chips. http://lakemichiganangler.com/ is a great website to learn how to make them plus order material.