Total Hits: 6

Total Boated:0

Species Breakdown:

Hot Lure: Green Flasher/Fly combo, NBK spoon

Trolling Speed: 2.5 Surface

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 178

Lure Depth: 160

Lost 2 heavy fish in the deep water, using 30 lb mono on the rigger. Attached to a swivel with a palomar knot, pulling pro troll flasher and howie flies. Fish took drag, but still broke off at the knot. Wondering if anyone has any Ideas. We are real green at this and appreciate any help you can offer!

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

a palomar knot is one of, if not the strongest knot a fisherman can use with mono or braid, i use them exlusively with all my knots to swivels with mono or braid, with no fail. you may want to check if you are tying it correctly and if so, make sure you wet the knot when you cinch it so it does not put a kink in it. if thats all set it may be beat line, i have noticed that with heavier line it does take a little more elbow grease to cinch the knot, hope thats the advise you needed, i know what it means to loose fish especialy when the blame goes on are equipment, good luck

Line might be bad. How old is it?

Never buy line from a shop that has ancient line sitting around and replace mono every year it's cheap enough to do so.

I run 30 pound Maxima and 30 pound is thick line, I always spit on my knots (to reduce heat friction) and clinch them down to my sampos with a pair of pliers and leave a 1/8 inch tag end so when a big fish starts ripping the tag end does't pull through the knot and causes it to unbuckle as it tightens. I had a monster take my whole rig one time due to this (left with a curled knot) so I alway leave a little extra hangin because that fish will tighten that knot up after an intial tie.

You said you broke off at the knot. It might be possible that the line broke at the contact point with the downrigger release. I avoid abraiding the line there by using a rubber band (staples run of the mill #16s) half hitched around the line and the loop end is hooked to the release. You can reduce slippage by wrapping the rubber band around the line 3 times before the half hitch. The rubber band WILL go through your guides on retreive and wind onto the reel. Thats OK. The added advantage is that big fish will break the rubber band and little fish will usually bounce the tip of your rod so you know they are there.

If it IS breaking at the swivel it isn't a Palomar tied properly. They are one of the best knots and one of the easiest to tie. Wet em to tighten. Pull them tight. Don't let a loop get hooked over the metal loop of the swivel you are tying to.