Wanted to know what a good reel and rod would be for running copper. Also, if you had 100 ft out would that put you around 50ft down? Thanks

I figure you like this story. Was fishing the past weekend and had a salmon hit down 50 over 130 on the left rigger. Was using A-Tom-Mik fly rigged with the triple hook and single hook. Fish was on about 15 seconds. When I pulled the rig in, two of the three triple hooks were bent out strait as a needle. I had a hook bend before on the wire many times, but never two off the riggers. We ended up catching two 31 pounders and some two year olds. There are defiantly some big fish this year.

Its tough to beat a Shimano Tekota reel, I think you can get 400 or 4d0 of copper on them with an ample amount of backing. Go to the attomik site and he sells all you will need to get it going, as far as depths, figure roughly 22 feet per 100 ft of copper

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I got (2) Penn 345GTi reels spooled with 600' of copper from A-TOM-MIK and love them! I'm not sure of the ratio of feet out to depth, but if you go to A-TOM-MIK's website, in the reel description section, he shows what certain amounts out will get you down to. If I remember correctly, 600' will get you down to approximately 120' at a 2.5mph troll. For rods, I am using a Shimano Talora and a Daiwa Heartland. Both work really well.

I was just told this the other day. 100 ft of copper equals 22ft down at a down speed of 2.2 mph. So 500 ft should put you in the range of 110 to 100 range with the added friction but keep in mind speed plays a huge factor which makes them so deadly. If you slow down it will sink deeper and if you speed up it will rise. The guy I fished with had two copper rigs set up. Both had the Penn 345GTi reel. One with 600' and 500' of copper backed with PowerPro. I believe the rods were 8'6" Eagle claws. Not sure what the action was. But we hooked fish on them. Good luck!

I was just told this the other day. 100 ft of copper equals 22ft down at a down speed of 2.2 mph. So 500 ft should put you in the range of 110 to 100 range with the added friction but keep in mind speed plays a huge factor which makes them so deadly. If you slow down it will sink deeper and if you speed up it will rise. The guy I fished with had two copper rigs set up. Both had the Penn 345GTi reel. One with 600' and 500' of copper backed with PowerPro. I believe the rods were 8'6" Eagle claws. Not sure what the action was. But we hooked fish on them. Good luck!

I run the 8'6" Eagle Claws for my downrigger rods and absolutely LOVE them. Never thought of using them for copper. Hmmm, got me thinking now..... :yes:

I run the 8'6" Eagle Claws for my downrigger rods and absolutely LOVE them. Never thought of using them for copper. Hmmm, got me thinking now..... :yes:

I use them with 600 feet copper on a Penn 330GTI (great reels),but the tips are soft and I had to change them to carboloid tips

I use them with 600 feet copper on a Penn 330GTI (great reels),but the tips are soft and I had to change them to carboloid tips

Not enough backing with a Penn 330 gti and 600' of copper. I would be afraid of getting spooled easily.