Garmin Electronics

I was playing with a 5212 last night at West marine and I was very impressed with the ease and functionality of this unit. Touch screen display was nice. Anyone have any experience with these units? I have had Garmin for my trucks navi, but not much more experience with their products. Would love to hear some feedback on their larger units, radar overlays, and maybe their auto pilots.

I use some of their gear and in general I am happy with it.

There are a few problems though.

Their Blue Chart map of Lake Ontario has a conflict with their US recreational map of Lake Ontario,They just don't fit each other right.

Also,Many of their map source products don't have the proper drivers for a 64 bit computer and you are forced to keep an old computer in the basement so you can use map source CDs and transfer them to your GPS.

Cornelis.

I have a GPSMAP 712C color plotter, it has been on the boat since 2004 and is rock solid. I never even had to look at the owner's manual until this year when I hooked it up to my AP14, the manual was still under the cuddy cushions where I put it 6 years ago. I have some form of chip that provides a chart overlay, with it I do not need a depth finder to know my overall and in the spring it show me if there is a reef up ahead that I may have forgotten about. I will consider Garmin if and when I decide to upgrade to a multifunction unit, and when I do I'm putting the one I have on my little Lake Erie boat.

I've currently got a GPSMap 430 which I like, but am looking to upgrade. I'm going to stick with Garmin and think either the 740 or the 4008 is a good choice. I don't know about touchscreen on a fishing boat either, just seems like it'd get dirty quick.

I've also got many Garmin products in my aircraft. I've never had any problems with them, and wouldn't trade the systems for anything. Very user friendly and easy to use.

Also looking to put radar on the boat and their line of radar systems make my mouth water. I like how their systems tie together easily and without a huge mess of wires. I like that idea better than running 4 different systems made by different manufacturers on the boat.

I'd choose Garmin before even looking at other products out there.

There is a 4210 with my name on it at the end of the season with Sirus weather overlay. I have played with a few of these units and are far and away the best GPS on the market. As a stand alone unit I dont think you can go wrong and with the updated software package the mapping is second to none. Go to the www.hulltruth.com and read what these guys have to say that use this stuff everyday. Very High marks Garmin is the GPS leader no doubt. I am however keeping 585 as my primary fishfinder. I am a fan of buttons versus touch screen or I would consider the 5210 myself.

Hey Ed, the 2000 and 3000 series are I believe are obsolete.

Garmin service on the 4000 series has been very good.

I have a 4210 great GPS ,Fishfinder is ok, . Don't know about the radar or AP

Use my phone for a storm tracker, great. really like that. Use a Garmin application for my phone very nice.

Dave

I have the 4208, the satellite overlay is incredible. I think the fishfinder is better than ok. I can pick up current lines, thermocline and anything else down there. I bought mine while visiting Florida at Bethel marine electronics. These guys sell Raymarine, Furno and others. I was going to buy the Raymarine (which was more expensive) but these guys talked me out of it by running them side by side and showing how much easier the Garmin was to use. Just got it last year so I havent learned everything it does yet but it already does alot more than I need.

As far as the touchscreen I would stay away. I wanted it too but with was talked out of it as well. I have had some first timers on my boat and they love to touch the screen and leave fingerprints and smudges all over it now, cant imagine a touchscreen and having to clean it all the time.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Dave

Dave,

I bought the unit as a core pack with the 50/200 dual frequency transducer. The gain is just 2-3 notches over factory setting but cant remember for sure right now since im out of sandy pond and still waiting for salmon to show up before we fish regularly.

We fished the Atommik challenge in Oswego, we were in 300+ fow and noticed a bar on the screen around 150-175ft down if I remember correctly. We were curious as to what it was so we dropped the probe down and in one direction speed was 3+mph and in the other it was less than 1mph. I was pretty impressed that the unit was able to pick that up.

Dave

I fish out of the Little Salmon River. Have only used the 4210 this year. I had a sitex cvs 111 before this and am having trouble getting used to the gamin. Using a 744 thru hull with it 600 watt.

Dave