six pack course questions

I would like to take the six pack course next time it comes around, but i can't find anything scheduled. I have looked at some things on line that say you need a certain number of documented hours to get certified. I would just like to know what i need to do before i take the course and whats involved in the course its self. For those of you who charter in the fingerlakes, i was wonder what the first year or two of starting out is like. How big of boat would you recomend to start? I'm just in the thinking stage right now but would like to start getting things in order. thanks for any info.

I saw one happening at the Gander in Cicero in October and January. It was on the poster board out front of the store. You need to prove 365 hrs of Boating hrs in 3 years. You can prove it with a boat registration and hour documentation or Another captain has to sign off saying you have that many hrs on the water.

This is the guy who can answer your questions and take the headaches out of applying for your license. He is the MAN!!

www.cglicense.com

Unless it has changed in the last 2 years no one needs to sign for your hours on the water. They give you one sheet and it takes 5 minutes to fill it out, you need no documentation other than your own boat papers if the time was done on your boat. I did it all in just a couple minutes. You can just make up the dates etc... I might suggest taking it with SeaTech though as many of us have

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Unless it has changed in the last 2 years no one needs to sign for your hours on the water. They give you one sheet and it takes 5 minutes to fill it out, you need no documentation other than your own boat papers if the time was done on your boat. I did it all in just a couple minutes. You can just make up the dates etc... I might suggest taking it with SeaTech though as many of us have

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

The required sea service is 360 DAYS total since you were 15 years old 90 of which must be in the last 3 years. A day consists of 4 hours or more underway, no more than one "day" in 24 hours. 90 days of which must be on the Great Lakes for the Great Lakes endorsement.

As Landshark said, the form is easy. If you are using time from your own boat, you need to provide proof you owned it during the timeframe you claim your sea service in. If your time was on another boat, you need to have the owner of the other boat sign the form and provide proof that they owned it during that time. NYS boat registration is adequate proof of ownership either way.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/forms/application/cg719s.pdf

Here's what I found on the Coast Guard site:::

Sea Service Requirements

Reference:

46 CFR

# of Days

Eval INT

Recency – 90 days in the past 3 years on vessels

OUPV

46 CFR

Near Coastal – 360 days of service, OF WHICH

90 days of service on Ocean or Near Coastal waters.

Great Lakes - 360 days of service, OF WHICH:

90 days of service on Great Lakes.

Inland – 360 days of service.