Got out around 5:30pm .. Found lots of bait/fish in the 120 range. Went 1 for 2 with a small king in the boat. Moved out to 170 and all hell broke loose. In the matter of 30 minutes we had 2 dipsies fire, and both down riggers We lost a nice one off the down rigger. He put on a good show before shaking the hook. Since it was my cousins first trip out, he did most of the reeling. It was good for him to have that kind of action..... All fish came on black/purple nk, then as the sun set it was blue/green. The dispsies were out 175 and 180. White spin doctor/mirage fly. Green spin doctor/maui fly..... 48 degree water down 50 over 170....

On a side note: As I was leaving the Sandy Creek I notice a small king laying on the parking lot. If people are going to keep the fish to eat that's cool. But to leave it dead in the parking lot is a bone head move( in my opinion)......

Get The Net, great report. Glad to read that the fishing is still holding up.

Your comment about the little King being left in the parking lot is right on and sends the wrong message about fishermen and women.

Thanks for your report.

We went out this AM for a QUICK trip before work. Hit the dock at 5 AM, fishing at 5:15- first fish at 5:16. 7lb steelhead- 35 down over 80 fow. Set back up, 20 minutes later we hit a 16 lb king- 45 down over 75 fow. Fished until 6:45 AM then went to work.

The wind is blowing out of the northeast- we had 42 degrees on the probe- 60 down over 80 fow. We never went any deeper then 100- marked a ton of bait between 60-80.

Good luck to all!!

I just got back in from a trip to Sandy, on the water by 530- off by 10. We went 5 for 9 with a couple kings biggest being 18#. Dropped a decent one off the riggers about the same, did a steelie about 8# ended the day with a Laker on the wire that was around 11#. How much fun that was can only be known by me. :lol:;) Riggers were the tix today, Glow froggies early with white cups, then as the sun gets up switch to silver backs. Seems its an early bite, shuttin down by 10-1030. Most action came on a east troll with a speed of 2.5 at the ball. Im out of the water for a few weeks if I can resist the urge. I have to get my Lund rigged and ready for July.

get the net- nice report, are you headin out this weekend?

fosterm--didnt see u in the lot this mornin I was by myself were you there yesterday?

I noticed the bait in shallow on the way out but fished my waypts, If I would be going out tommarrow Id go early and fish 40-90fow close to the bottem East or West out of the chute. The browns have to be feeding in the top 20 fow on top of that pile of bait , with some decent hooks movin around below the bait clouds.

The fish in the parking lot was a nice 12 pound Steelhead that somebody wasted. Was not a good way to start my day, pulling in the parking lot to find it. The fish was definatly caught yesterday, but such a waste. At least dispose of it properly if you dont want it.

Jax, I assumed it was a king, but I did not get out of the truck to get a close look. Either way what a waste of a nice fish. I can't figure out why someone would do that...

I can't get out this weekend, Wedding in Albany ;( We marked a lot of bait in the 100-130 range, but no marks in the 170 range( where most of our action happened) We had good luck on the east troll as well.....

Good Luck this weekend if you go.

Thanks for the report....Yesterday supper time went out to Sandy started setting up and told my partner about your report...He loaded up on the purple thunder at 50 down in 100FOW. Before I could set up my side his bottom rod was screaming....Nice 12 pound King.....Later on in 70 FOW he caught a nice steelhead on the purple thunder NK thast was stacked at 30 down...Me, I was skunked...I was using a mountain dew spin doctor and dolphin fly as well as, a silver dodger and mirage fly.....Oh, well, I should have listened to your report...Thanks....Surface temp in 100 FOW was 60 F. We did troll out to 175, but there was practically nothing on screens...trolled back to the 75 Foot water which seemd to have the most marks and lots of baitfish......Hook'em Paul

I was reading Jaxs e-mail and it got me thinking of something that happened to me a few years back around this same time of year. It was right after the pro am on Niagra. The tournament did not go that well for me so I came back to Sandy with my tail between my legs. I wasn't going to give up on fishing though so I headed out the next weekend, again around this time of year, and went a bit east to around 80-90 ft of water where people were having a slow pick at best from the radio reports. We were too so I figured that it was just that transition thing in June. Then me and Buck Whitenight, now there is a name from the past, is he still alive? :shock: saw a prominent charter boat captain in tight. Around where Jax thought might be a good place to start for browns. Put a quick shout out to him... you know the normal what are you doing in there sort of thing. His reply was "black and silver, the smaller the better, right near the bottom. Were done because were bored from catching so many fish". Buck and I swung inside and it was rediculous. We honestly had a hard time keeping two rods in the water. All big browns, my biggest to date, and some real nice screamer kings mixed in. Top two or three days I ever had. Might be food for thought. Then again breaking the cardinal rule of don't leave fish to find fish might be tough to break when the fishing has been so good other places a bit deeper. Give me a shout tomorrow if you want to know if its working out. (thompson/thompson) ch72. See you guys on the water tomorrow.

I went out as well just east of creek before finding the fish. It looks like the lake has upwelled. My graph and the condensation on the rigger balls seem to indicate 30- 35 foot down the water gets very cold. So we fish the top and got a nice coho and a nice beautiful rainbow , one on lemon ice the other on purple thunder dow 30 - 35ft.

Hans- Jim,

Buck is still alive out east. He fished oswego pro-ams with me right up till a few years ago. Still see him at DEC days in Avon and Giddy is still strong as a German Ox.

Good to see you Jim back up west here, We had a good run with you at west end pro-am years back. William Alhart (prism Tape) Still one of my favorite fishing minds (steelhead GOD) hopefully still fishes with you.

PS Please tell me the prominent charter boat who helped you guys out that day so I can pick his brain too.

See you soon and best of luck

Jerry

REBEL

You know who that prominant fishing mind is. Your in his head all the time. You know some fishing guy from the deep south. Running rebel or something like that. Seriously, learned more from him in two days of fishing than I could have mustered up in five to six years prior. I still leave the steelhead stuff up to wild Bill.