major questions to ask you guys.

I just got boat last weekend,

I know most of boat rules and how to drive it. But only few things that being concern for me lately.

First of concern, I cannot speak at all, so if there something wrong, someone usually will radio for help. But since im profound deaf, how can I get help from someone? if something happens?

Secondly, if boat is broke down and how can I get boat towed into?

however, i will using my phone on the boat. so it will be playing big role for me on the emergency call. I wondering if I can get some of your guys text numbers in the case if i got something happens on the boat? I will only running out from IBAY for this fall.

I would appreciate if someone will ring this up with advice about my situation or give me text number so i can get help if i needed to.

Since i planning to get captain license sometime soon. so I wonder how it is possible for me to get safety rigs on my boat. Since i cant use radio.

Big thanks if someone did post info for me sometime soon!!

Ok here is a thought , wind don't you carry a tape recordered message that says something to the effect " I'm joe and my boat is disabled. I am deaf so this is a recording. I have a 20 foot bayliner trophy white with a big distress flag out now. Can someone please offer me assistance I am near I BAY. Again this is a recorded message because I can't talk on the radio. I will replay this in a minute". Idk just a thought. Make something distinct about your boat.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Hello Mark

Well first of all,get yourself a VHF radio and hook it into your GPS.Then sign up for an mmsi number,which you will have to set into your radio.When you push the distress button on your radio,every coast guard station and every boat around will pick up your distress signal together with your exact location from your GPS.

Your MMSI number will be part of your broadcast and the Coast Guard will have access to all the info that comes with it (home phone,whom to contact,your name,and so on.).All of this without you having spoken a word.

Tomorrow I will ask a Coast Guard officer I know if there is a special texting number for marine emergencies in this area.

Get in touch with Anthony ( Pike Hunter),he can probably give you a sea of information.

Cornelis.

Look into an EPIRB or a PLB (Personal locator beacon). I have a FastFind PLB (it was around 300 bucks) which you register with NOAA. I also have a strobe light which I wear on an inflatable life vest which I always wear when I fish alone. I also carry 9 signal flares on my boat and a large signal flag.....and I am not hearing impaired.

Good luck,

- Chris

Take a look at a SPOT Satellite GPS Locator

It will send OK transmissions every 10 minutes when turned on, however you have the option to hit S.O.S and the company (SPOT) will notify Coast Gaurd etc that is near your location

We have one. We use it on our Boat, Snowmobiling and when I have done Atlantic Ocean crossings aboard private sailboats.

The unit is cheap(around $100) and the years service is cheap as well for the basic service but they also have a Marine Assist that works through BoatUS

SPOT http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Take a look at a SEA KEY which is very similar to SPOT however this hardmounts on your boat. It is a bit more for the unit and the yearly fee is $$$ but offers a few other features; since it is hardmount in the boat it can be left active and you can see your boat( very helpful if ever stolen).

We have one of these as well however do not have it activated when we looked into activating it cost around $400/year

SEA KEY http://www.seakeyna.com/

Carry GOOD flares( both handheld and canister/shell type), also some offshore flares that will burn bright, longer and shoot up higher(PARACHUTE type); go beyond Coast Gaurd approved and get SOLAS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also you have my cell and I can be reached whenever a life situation arises; we fish just about every day however if need be I am only about 10 minuets from were our boat is docked :yes:

Try not to fish alone however if you do keep an eye on the weather, it changes VERY quick on Lake O and you can be in the middle of a bad situation before you know it out there