Every Dead Fish I See...

Skaneateles Lake is now VHS positive. This little fishbowl gets relatively little use as compared to the bigger, more easily accessed lakes. This is some pretty bad news. It seems almost statistically impossible that this is not in some of the others. I am based out of Seneca Lake. I can't help but look at floaters differently now, even though there has not been an announcement of the presence of VHS. There are always dead fish everywhere we go. There have been as long as any of us who fish a lot can remember. Are we supposed to start picking these up and submitting them somewhere or can we assume that this is being done? I know the kids from Hobart monitor this lake for various trends.

Wonder if anyone really knows whether we can get sick from eating these fish???

I also fish Seneca all the time and have followed the VHS news. The way I read it the # of dead fish I see dayly is just normal die off. If I run across 100+ fish in a outing that's when I'll call and pick up one of the dead ones.

I spoke with a friend on Lake St Clair last weekend while fishing for musky, and he said until the ocean going vessels dump their cargo in some port on the St Lawrence and a Great Lakes freighter or shipper takes the shipment further upbound we will continue to see these issues in Great Lakes and other tribs and lakes like the Fingers. So maybe send a letter to your reps in the state legislature and senate and federal house and senate too. I know some guys who catch and release their sportfish but there are a lot of people who want to fish and eat their harvest. What if some issue comes up in the deer population? Show me a deer hunter who is just doing it for sport, every deer hunter is eating their harvest. Just think of the dollars spent during the fishing season and deer season. People are already dropping out of the sports so if they can't eat their kill watch the numbers fall even more. I love to eat meat but I am not going to eat some bluegill with black spot disease or a trout or walleye with vhs.