Is a trim indicator important?

High Bidder

I have a IO drive boat and am trying to decide if I should fix the trim sender and gauge. The sender has not worked since I own the boat so I really don't know if it would be helpful. Would it help me to know how much I can raise the outdrive to dock in shallow water?( which I have to do if the lake is low). I am not concerned about trimming when running because I use RPMs to do that. I am machining a new dash panel and won't install the trim gauge if it won't be any advantage. I'll use the extra space for better switch placement.

High Bidder

i hope not mines been broken for 7 years.....now the trim limit is important for safe operating range of outdrive (if yer not paying attention). But as long as ya dont drive down the lake shooting a 30 ft roostertail yer probly trimming the moter ok.

The limit protects the "knuckles" or "U" joints from turning in a overtrim position,excessive (High) trim puts terrable pressure on them and your "carrier" bearing and im shure everything on both ends of yer shaft too.

Having a basic understanding of why you trim other than shallow water operation and "YOUR" boats handling ,for load and conditions is {in my opinion) more important than a needle in front of you on a guage...............look under the dash a 3 prong connector to your guage might be loose..

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to eliminate the trim gauge and reposition my switches. It looks to darn hard to replace anyway and I hear they don't last that long either. What brought this to my attention in the first place is that my brother-in-law bought a new Etec for his boat and it has a working trim gauge.

High Bidder