Fair Haven...Helpful Information 6/20?

Hello fellow fisherman. PA fisherman taking my once a year fishing vacation on Lake Ontario from June 23rd to June 30th. I'm in need of help and tips on how to fish for Trout and Salmon and am fishing out of Fair Haven NY.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated and I was looking for advice on the following subjects.

What Salmon are active now, and at what depths can I find them...in how many feet of water?

What lures, flies, flashers, spinner, spoons, or cut bait holders should I try including glow colors for Salmon fishing? Where can I buy them (good local bait and tackle shop) and what specific brands, sizes and colors should I use?

Anything special such as optimal trolling speed that I should do for Salmon fishing with my downriggers, or should I use another method of fishing.

What Trout are active now and at what depths can I find them...in how many feet of water?

What color lures, flies, flashers, spinner, spoons, or cut bait holders should I try including glow colors for Trout fishing? Where can I buy them (good local bait and tackle shop) and what specific brands, sizes and colors should I use?

Anything special such as optimal trolling speed that I should do for Trout fishing with my downriggers, or should I use another method of fishing.

What radio channel should I listen to for chatter?

Are there any tow services or calls that can be made if I get stranded with a failed motor?

Are there any other considerations that I should take such as another good species to fish for (i.e. Walleye, Northerns, etc.) or certain places I should go?

Any help is greatly appreciated and there are some very nice fish posted on this page.

Tight lines and thanks!

I don't know if I can answer all of those questions but I'll try a few of them. Right now there aren't a lot of salmon around. If you want to give them a shot anyway start in 90 fow and work deeper. The salmon fishing is slow at best right now. Dodgers/fly combos or spoons.

Right now the brown trout fishing is very good. They will be your best bet. Get out early. 35-70 fow is probably where you will want to be.

Read the past reports for more details.

Stop at Screwy Louies. They will give you up to date info also.

I think your best bet is to charter a boat for a 1/2 a day if you can swing it.There are some great charter boats that run out of that port.As fishshack said June is a slow time of the year for salmon the lake is just starting to set up it's thermalcline and the fish are every where.but you never know they could move in tomorrow :lol: If you look at past posts there is alot of info you can find out about Fair Haven.Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks for the info guys! The charter is probably a good idea, and I can try it when I drop my boat to have a new kicker motor installed.

I will review the past posts for Fair Haven and thanks for the tip on the Browns.

Tight lines and thanks!

• 2 weeks later...