Slick Trick shoulder bone penetration evaluated

chowder

One of our landlords is getting into bow hunting and I had him out yesterday. We set up my favorite style of stand (wally world climbing stick & 1 or 2 hang ons) down wind of a wooded corridor that bucks use to troll across lanes leading into a large meadow. We didn't have to wait long for a hefty 4 point to come thru. It was all I could do to keep my guy to keep from loosing an arrow at the young buck til he gave us a decent,though slightly quartered towards 19yd shot thru a wide open window between trees (this was going to be the only shot I felt my guy was going to have that he could make b/c the quartering away shot was gonna push 28-30yds). Well, he was high and forward of the sweet spot but against all odds the buck literally never took another step. The ST mag blasted right thru the shoulder blade and punctured the lung, causing massive hemorrhaging and totally immobilized the deer. The arrow was mostly exposed, passing only a short distance behind the shoulder blade into the lungs. The buck was done and basically immobile but still alive. I did finish the deer with a heart shot b/c the landord was shaking so hard we agreed that was the best course of action.

My best guess is that most relatively short range shoulder shots w/ this broad head will result in an immobile deer. Vitals damage would depend on exactly where in the shoulder the arrow will penetrate and ,of course, the angle of the shot. -Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the information! That's what I was looking for, not that I hope to ever have to test it.

I've been holding off on does, looking for a chance to get my daughter in on the kill-shot. No such luck thus far, but we're still trying. Seven nine-year old girls this weekend for her birthday sleepover (Halloween birthday) nixed bowhunting. Thirty minutes to pickup time...I might make it.

Gator

Andy thats good to here on the shoulder penetration. The deer shoulder blade is fairly thin unlike other areas of there body.. I feel pretty comfortable that if I had to make a shot at this area that my 100 grain Thunderheads would blow right through the shoulder even out to 30 yards with my Bow Tech... Unfortunately with a a shoulder shot such as that the you will lose most of the shoulder meat on the one side of the deer... We have had a few deer in this year with that type of shot taken on the deer... Dale

I have killed handful of deer with the extreme quartering towards me, almost head on shot. All have been less than 15 yards. At that range I haven't had any problems with penetration, and with a well placed shot a deer will never go far.

I now have new bow, and might try that shot out to 20 if that's the opportunity I'm given.

Hopefully this weekend something will happen and I'll be coming to visit Woody184.