Filling a daiwa 57 LC with 7 stranded wire.

rolmops

• 1 month later...

I want to fill my Okuma Catalina 25D with wire and was going to use mono backing. I assumed wire would slip on the spool if mono backing wasn't used (similar to PowerPro). The spool of my Catalinas does not have a hole to thread the lead end of the wire through.

Are there any steps I should take loading wire without backing that would be different than loading with mono?

Any thoughts on whether a beginner wire user should start with 30 or 20# test?

Thanks

put a wrap of electrical tape or duct tape on the spool arbor first to give the wire (or braid) something to bite into. What I actually do is I tie the line on first and the wrap the tape over the loop and knot, that both gives the wire something to grab and physically holds the line in place on the spool. Probably a little overkill, but it works.

30 lb is definitely more forgiving.

Tim

Personally I don't think it matters, I've been using the bright Malin wire for years and had the camo Mason wire before that and both caught fish equally well IMO. I like the malin wire because it is softer and easier to work with. Lots of guys on here love the AFW camo wire that Tom sells (Atommik).

Tim