Quality Mono Line Suggestions

crw4374

Thanks all for the info. Its funny you mention the Okuma Trio, that is exactly the reel (size 30) I was using. Just bought it using for the first time and glad to hear that its not a problem with the reel - that was my next thought. I dont know if the type of line they spooled it with was the issue - store did it for free and probably used the cheapest stuff. It was not over spooled. Maybe simply the cold water was the main issue. I have used cold water ice fishing line on another reel for the same type of fishing and have had no issues. I will try Seren based on your suggestions.

Only concern I have with the reel is that the drag doesn't seem to be as smooth as I would expect from a $80 reel (on sale for $60). Maybe I bought a dud?

Thanks again as I value everyones imput!

The drag is the best I've ever used on a spinning reel. It does have however, have very fine adjustment. We are landing very large trout(up to 17lbs) on 8lb line routinely. Also, when they "store spool" them the whole thing could be wound on twisted if they didn't do it right. On a right handed reel, the proper way with a spinning reel is to lay the spool on it's side on the floor or a table and have the line come off the opposite rotation as the reel. Your reel should turn clockwise, thus the line should come off the plastic spool counter-clockwise to avoid twist.

That's it, Vince...from now on, I'm bringing all my reels to you for spooling. :D

Not sure that it's any better than Stren, but I've fished with Ande pink on my winter reels for years with good success.

Let me rephrase that. I've fished with Ande pink on my winter reels. And occasionally stupid'd into a fish.