cayuga lake laker question

I'm plannin on putting more effort towards flasher/fly combos this year on cayuga for lakers, I just started trolling last year and mainly used inline cowbells with spoons/stickbaits and didn't do too well. I was wondering, Whats the preferred trolling speed to use spindoctors. Are the 8" size the ticket or do the lakers prefer them smaller? Also what temperature do those elusive bastards usually prefer? Thanks guys

If you want lakers, yes spin doctors 8 inch green/ white/ mtn dew are all good in combination with similair flies. If fishing them deep go with glow on them. Lakers you can slow right down to 1.7 and up to 2.5. Look for the big lakers below 48 degrees, you'll catch more but generally smaller above 48 degrees. If you drop below 2mph your pretty much just fishing for lakers and ruling out the silver fish. Spoons off your riggers deep work as well on days when flasher/fly are not getting it done.

White or green flies with 0 dobson silver flasher works works well for us...Biggest lakers are usually right on the bottom and lazy..Copper yankers do well when it comes to shear size ( very slow and banging the bottom)..Biggest laker I ever saw was caught by my son on a twin minnow ....He had it right up to the boat 4 or 5 times and down he would go against the drag........last time up I was on the swim step with the net and that fish flopped and was gone.....The twin minnow was still on the swivel minus the hooks...The eye hooks straightened out...We have every color...single and jointed...They work well behind a dobson flasher...but we have lost a lot of fish because of eyes pulling out or straightening...Steve over on rte 89 has 'em..We set speed at 1.8-2.0 and zig zag...That will speed up outside lures and slow down the inside...and attract silver fish along with lakers :yes:

I use alot of Spin Dr. and fly combos. Green on green and white on white are always go to set ups. Run them off your rigger 6-10ft back 75-100ft down any where from 2.0-3.2 SOG. I started trolling just a few years ago and know the phase your going through. If you have them run wire setups with dipsies. If you don't GET SOME!! Play with your colors match water clarity and weather.

my fav. setup

4-5" tournament tied fly 16-24" stiff leader behind 8" spinny-5-7ft off black size 1 dipsy out 180-280ft on 2 setting and wire.