trolling for spring browns

Hi every one,i am new to this site,its really great to see a site that has really experienced guys willing to help us rookies out,thank you!!! My question is,i am gonna be trolling in oswego for browns in three weeks with planer boards and stick baits,i wanted to start off shallow in 10 ft of water,what if i have no luck and decide to go to 20ft of water,how much weight should i add to get the stickbait a lil deeper,whats the best kinda weights to use?how far do i want my planer boards from the side of my boat,i luv this stuff,just kinda new at it.

If you want run weight on your mono I would say snap wiehgts might work for you.

If I remember correctly you get about 5 foot of depth per oz of weight.

You could also look into lead core off the boards.

Glen

Hi Stevo, if you're only in 20 ft or so I use the riggers to cover the 16-19 ft depths just so I can adjust them quickly. On the boards, I'll spread them out, first rod out no weight, next rod out 1 big split shot, 3rd rod out 2 big split shot, all these lures are shallow divers. 4th rod out medium or deep diver like deep jr thunderstick, or shad rap. Rember, longer leads mean deeper depths. Riggers will have spoons or shallow sticks. Pay attention to what works and make adjustments

Capt. Dave

www.ReeSilverCharters.com

For drop weights, I use a rubberband. Half hitch it on the weight and the mainline. When the weight gets to the boat, break the rubberband off the main line. I have the snap weights but found the rubberband method was quicker to get off and did not fall off.